Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp omen obelisk 875-000Na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After downloading and going for Firmware update in my Windows Update app it has failed.

Since then I can power my pc on but screen stats blank. The fans spin. Pc powers on but nothing happens. I have taken the cmos battery out and I have tried to reset the cmos using jumper and pins but I am not sure if I did it correctly as the problem seems to persist 

This is a link to my exact pc spec

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06210175

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ArtOfWhisky -- did it actually report that the firmware update "failed", or, after rebooting, does it "fail" to run ?

In general:

• the firmware retrieves values from the CMOS, and sometimes updates values back to the CMOS.
  • the CMOS battery exists to supply "trickle" power to the CMOS, to retain the "volatile" values; a dying battery causes a loss of the values stored in the CMOS.
  • any "clearing" of the CMOS (removing the CMOS battery, or using a jumper) just clears all the values in the CMOS.

So, your attempts at working with the CMOS are dependent on having "good" firmware on the motherboard.

If your attempt to update the firmware has failed, nothing you do to the CMOS will have any affect.

Unfortunately, the topic "failed firmware update" appears too often within this discussion forum.

Search through this forum, and see if any of the posted messages describe the "firmware recovery" process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.