Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP notebook stuck in “Preparing Automatic Repair”loop

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Not good. This has happened to me on a few occasions, most recently on a failed  upgrade to Window 11.  I did finally manage the upgrade.

First:  What caused the original problem?  Sudden power outage?  Replaced hard drive or add a PCIe card?  Install some software that caused problem?  Saw some warnings about the hard drive?

Are you booting an HP recovery device (USB or CD) ?

From a Microsoft "repair" (USB or CD)  and run the troubleshooter?

You will have to disable secure boot to boot from USB.

What I used to fix my similar booting problem

created USB "windows 10" boot USB downloaded from Microsoft. 

Disable secure boot in BIOS to allow USB to work.

- do not install win10, just select the repair option

- Repair boot block

- Run troubleshooter

If the above does not work look in the repair options for restore points.

1 - If the diagnostic cannot find a system you probably need to reinstall windows**

2 - if a system found but no restore points you can try in install of win10 that keeps old files.

**  You may want to replace the hard drive with a new one so after the fresh install of win10 you can copy any important documents from the original drive assuming it had not totally died.

HTH

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.