Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G2 MT (TPM DP)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there,

I occasionally had boot problems with my HP ProDesk 400 G2 MT (TPM DP). After pressing the on-button it would beep (4 times if I rember correctly, same length each) repeatedly with the on-light blinking. This was fixed by trying to boot several times. I haven't had this boot problem for quite a while. However, my PC has been increasingly sluggish and unresponsive since then.

-streamed videos would freeze while audio continues playing until it freezes completly and starts playing again

-browser is not responding for a while (windows is responsive though)

-navigating on the browser is very sluggish

-other programs have also frozen on me

I observed it freezing, then after a while the computer made the usually noises (like it gets it gears going) with the front light begining to flash and unfreeze right after.

My completely uneducated guess is that it could be that the RAM is damaged? I had difficulties upgrading the graphics card on this PC before, since it is rather picky in that regard. What kind of RAM could I get for this model, if what I have described sounds like a RAM issue?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Muffinenjoyer --  if possible I would prefer to get rid of the updates.

Given that Microsoft will keep releasing "security updates" for Windows for 4 more years, until October 2025, I think that it is a bad idea to deliberately allow your computer to be vulnerable to many future exploits.

Note that Apple recently had a "zero-click" exploit -- just receive a text-message with a specially-crafted image attached, and your Apple device is "hacked".  The text-message arrived, and the owner of the device did not have to click anything -- "zero-click" -- to get hacked.  Run Windows Update to prevent a similar exploit from hitting your computer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Muffinenjoyer -- I doubt that the blinking-lamp on the front of the computer indicates power going on-and-off. Instead, I suspect that the lamp blinks whenever the disk-drive is "busy" reading/writing.

Click the Windows "Start" button. 

Click the "Settings" button.

Scroll-down and click "Windows Update".

Click on "show update history".

Do you see any messages that a specific update has "failed", probably repeatedly?

If so, your computer keeps itself "busy", repeatedly retrying to successfully install that update.

Thus, your usage of your computer is "sluggish" because that update is monopolizing your computer.

Return to the "Setttings" window.

Click to run the "Troubleshooter" for Windows Update, to see if it can detect and fix any problems.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this detailed response! You are correct, there is something wrong with accumulating Updates. I have blocked the updates, however, there are some in the cue. Is it possible to flush those update requests?

Example

HP Recommended

Did a reboot and started the troubleshooter again.

Example2

My computer apears to have update constipation. I would prefer to just wipe the update processes. Is this possible?

HP Recommended

@Muffinenjoyer -- the first run of that trouble-shooter reported that it "fixed" some issues.

The second run did not find anything more that needed fixing.

So, run Windows Update again. Does it "successfully" install any update(s), or are there still any "fail" messages?

Windows 10 Home does not allow you any control over Windows Update, unlike Windows 10 Professional.

HP Recommended

Example3

I have blocked the Updates manually. Here is how (if you are interested):

I can reverse this, if possible I would prefer to get rid of the updates.

HP Recommended

@Muffinenjoyer --  if possible I would prefer to get rid of the updates.

Given that Microsoft will keep releasing "security updates" for Windows for 4 more years, until October 2025, I think that it is a bad idea to deliberately allow your computer to be vulnerable to many future exploits.

Note that Apple recently had a "zero-click" exploit -- just receive a text-message with a specially-crafted image attached, and your Apple device is "hacked".  The text-message arrived, and the owner of the device did not have to click anything -- "zero-click" -- to get hacked.  Run Windows Update to prevent a similar exploit from hitting your computer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice. I wouldn't have thought of the update accumulation. I will do the updates.

HP Recommended

Now my system is running silky smooth again, and I can enjoy another muffin.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.