Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have new HP Z4 G4 Workstation 9LM65EA with original SSD 1T. It works fine.

When I add HD Western Digital to slot SATA0, Z4 doesn't boot. Bios version 2.56 (last). HDD is good and bios know it. In Boot Options - UEFI Boot Order  I have "M.2 SSD0:Windows Boot Manager" as a first one. SATA0:WDC ... is below and disabled.

Bios diagnostics HARD DRIVE detects HDD as HDD1 and SSD as HDD2. I don't know why this order, I expected SSD M2 as first.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Some motherboards disable SATA ports when you have active M.2 storage.

Try SATA1, or SATA2, or SATA3 .

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Disabled SATA is not a problem.

Boot from SSD with HDD WD 4TB on SATA0 doesn't work correctly. It looks on problem with HDD or BIOS. I found this:

When I connect HDD WD 640GB on SATA0 everything go fine. I boot from original SSD without problems. It works also after PC restart. When I now replace HDD to 4TB HDD I can boot for first time (I see HDD in Win10, everything is correct), but booting after restart/off always fails. I try it 3x with same result. Removing all data and partitions from HDD doesn't help, I did it.

I am thinking remove UEFI and reinstall Win10 on original SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Mio1 I am having the same issue. Did you manage to resolve?

Without the WD 4TB SATA HDD the system will boot. 

With the 4TB it wont, it is as if the SATA drive takes the boot priority. But it is set correctly in bios.

HP Recommended

The problem is probably compatibility of HP Z4 and my HDD (4T WD WD4004FYWX). Others may works. I am going to buy new 4TB HDD from HP.

All issue I collect in this points:

1. The Z4 works with the original 1T SSD without any problems.

2. If I add 640 GB HDD WD6401AALS to SATA0, the PC boots normally ie. 35 - 55 sec. The signal LED lights up in 14s, 16s, 25-28s.

3. If I add 4TB HDD WD4004FYWX to SATA0, the PC will boot for 21 minutes. I tried 3 times. It's always identical. The signal LED lights up in times 16s, 20s, 27-30s and 20 min. 50 s. The LED does not flash between 30s and 20min50sec. The monitor all the time indicates that the PC is loading something (dots are spinning around). After 21 min the PC boots from the SSD.

4. There is no system on the 4TB HDD. I tried to delete all data and delete all partitions. I also made the format of the whole disk (to 1 then to 0).

5. When I boot the PC only with SSD and after logging in to Win10 I connect the HDD 4 TB at runtime to SATA0 it works. Win10 find a new device and a connect HDD. The disc is available and can be operated. Sometimes he didn't find HDD.

6. When I boot the PC boot with SSD and 4TB HDD, it doesn't work correctly. Nothing happens between 30s and 20min50sec. If I disconnect the SATA0 connector from HDD between delay, the PC immediately boot from the SSD.

7. I have the latest BIOS version. The BIOS recognizes both HDDs (640 GB and 4 TB). If I set the HDD in the UEFI order to turn off or enable, it has no effect. I have an SSD in front of the HDD.

8. 4TB HDD WD4004FYWX I have had for a long time (2 years) in the previous PC and it works without problems.

HP Recommended

i have this same issue, did you ever figure out the problem?

HP Recommended

@Spanky2020

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product Number : 6QN91EA#ABU with Nvidia Quadro P620 Graphics Card

Additional Storage Drive Installed on SATA5 (have tried on SATA0, SATA1 )

New HDD fitted: WD4003FFBX-68MU3N0

After reading Mio1 Comments, I left the PC at the Black HP screen with the spinning circle. It did eventually boot after approximately 20minutes.

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and it is still the same.

Also When it boots the new HDD drive is not visible.

If I plug the new HDD drive in when Windows has booted, it will find the new drive no problem. I can create a partition and format it.

I have now tried with a new 250GB HDD WD2503ABYZ . Everything now works ok.

So seems to be a compatibility issue with the 4TB Drive (WD4003FFBX) WD Red Pro NAS Hard Drive 

HP Recommended

My configuration is
HP Z4 G4 Product No. 9LM65EA#BCM
HDD WD 4TB WD4004FZWX-00GBGB0

HP Recommended

Gave up.  Or better yet gave, it.  After trying 10 different 10tb drives on every sata port.  Put in an old 8tb, problem solved?  works fine.  Appears that certain hard drives just dont work.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.