Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Rove
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I enabled the Legacy Boot Mode in the UEFI Configuration and I would like how I can give more priority to the Legacy boot (MBR boot) vs the EFI Boot.  

I mean, how can I boot using the MBR without destroying the GPT partitions or EFI files?

I don't have an option on the BIOS to select "priority".

I have the BIOS with firmware F.17 Rev.A (latest)

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Alfredo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@afeno

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to use the legacy boot instead of the UEFI boot, before we get into the details, though, 

Here's the difference between EFI Boot and Legacy boot

It's the process that the firmware uses to find the boot target:

Legacy Boot is the boot process used by BIOS firmware.
The firmware maintains a list of installed storage devices that may be bootable (Floppy Disk Drives, Hard Disk Drives, Optical Disk Drives, Tape Drives, etc...) and enumerates them in a configurable order of priority. the POST procedure has completed, the firmware loads the first sector of each of the storage targets into memory and scans it for a valid Master Boot Record (MBR). If a valid MBR is found, the firmware passes execution to the boot loader code found in the MBR which allows the user to select a partition to boot from. If one is not found, it proceeds to the next device in the boot order. If no MBR is found at all, the user is presented with the famous "Please insert system disk"

UEFI boot is the boot process used by UEFI firmware.
The firmware maintains a list of valid boot volumes called EFI Service Partitions. During the POST procedure the UEFI firmware scans all of the bootable storage devices that are connected to the system for a valid GUID Partition Table (GPT). Unlike an MBR, a GPT does not contain a boot-loader. The firmware itself scans the GPTs to find an EFI Service Partition to boot from. If no EFI bootable partition is found, the firmware can fall back on the Legacy Boot method. If both UEFI boot and Legacy boot fail, the famous "Please insert system disk" will be presented.

In general, UEFI boot is more desirable.

And If you wish to know how to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT Disk: Click here (3rd party link - please ignore the ads).

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@afeno

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to use the legacy boot instead of the UEFI boot, before we get into the details, though, 

Here's the difference between EFI Boot and Legacy boot

It's the process that the firmware uses to find the boot target:

Legacy Boot is the boot process used by BIOS firmware.
The firmware maintains a list of installed storage devices that may be bootable (Floppy Disk Drives, Hard Disk Drives, Optical Disk Drives, Tape Drives, etc...) and enumerates them in a configurable order of priority. the POST procedure has completed, the firmware loads the first sector of each of the storage targets into memory and scans it for a valid Master Boot Record (MBR). If a valid MBR is found, the firmware passes execution to the boot loader code found in the MBR which allows the user to select a partition to boot from. If one is not found, it proceeds to the next device in the boot order. If no MBR is found at all, the user is presented with the famous "Please insert system disk"

UEFI boot is the boot process used by UEFI firmware.
The firmware maintains a list of valid boot volumes called EFI Service Partitions. During the POST procedure the UEFI firmware scans all of the bootable storage devices that are connected to the system for a valid GUID Partition Table (GPT). Unlike an MBR, a GPT does not contain a boot-loader. The firmware itself scans the GPTs to find an EFI Service Partition to boot from. If no EFI bootable partition is found, the firmware can fall back on the Legacy Boot method. If both UEFI boot and Legacy boot fail, the famous "Please insert system disk" will be presented.

In general, UEFI boot is more desirable.

And If you wish to know how to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT Disk: Click here (3rd party link - please ignore the ads).

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@afeno

If no EFI bootable partition is found, the firmware can fall back on the Legacy Boot method.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Very good learning.

It is a pitty that the bios doesn´t allow to have the order on the other way arround. I mean to first try with the Legacy boot and then try with the EFI bootable partitions.

I believe that some BIOS are supporting this feature to be configurable. Maybe in a future firmware?

Thanks!

Alfredo.

HP Recommended

@afeno

Thank you for replying to my post,

You are right, it's a possibility that there may be a firmware update as such, however, I can't make speculations as that may or may not happen.

In the meantime, though, let me know if you need any other assistance, I'll be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.