Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
tower Envy 750-350qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello:   My question will perhaps seem redundant and silly, but just being cautious.  And, I am asking because this is my second HP computer and still no working computer.  To be fair, the first one was no fault of HP or the user.  But, that is a long story.

So,  I ordered this specially customized Envy 750-350qd from the online HPstore.  waited  a month.  It finally arrive.  And, it will not boot up.  There seems to be no power, no fans run, no typical boot up sounds.  

The green light on the back signifying power to the computer comes on and the blinking light on the start up switch comes on.

I have already contacted sales and support.

My question here is just a desperate attempt to see if some genius can think of some dumb reason why this particualr computer does not power up before I box it up, send it in, and start the process of getting another one all over again.

It does have a 500 watt bronze power supply.  It has a Itb HD and a 126 SSD drive with an i7 processor.

I am a fairly savvy user, but not a techno geek.  So, first guess for me is a bad power supply...therefore no fans, no whirling cooling fan on the processor heat sink.  No nothing.

Is there a secret switch or something I might not know about?  Is there a power supply connector that I should check.  It would be great if there is some known little glitch I could flip before sending it back.

Surely, it was powered up before being shipped from China???? 

I have always had HP towers for last 20 years or more and never had a problem of any kind.  Seems like fate is biting me back.

Thank you.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hpuserid206wrote:

After reading the info old geekster sent me.........

The green light does not flash.  It remains contstant.

And, it is not the computer does nothing.  That is not accurate.

The fans all try to spin every 3 seconds, they will try to spin once.

And, I cannot turn the power supply off with the switch, I have to unplug the power cord.

Does any of this info change the diagonosis??

I would much rather order a power supply and have this baby running in a few days than initiating an exchange which mean waiting another 30 days to replace this customized computer.

Thanks again

I believe a failed PSU is most likely the problem.  However, I don't feel comfortable having you buy a new PSU.  There are simply too many other things that could be the cause of your problem.  I suggest that you contact HP Customer Support to see if they can give you any other suggestions on what to do.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@hpuserid206, welcome to the forum.

I have to agree that it sounds like you have a failed power supply unit (PSU).  Here is a guide that will help you troubleshoot the problem.  Also, since it did have a long trip, it would be a good idea to open the case and check to make certain that all of the components are firmly seated.

HP Recommended

Thanks Old Geekster.

Just one more question.

First, thanks for the info on checking power supply.

Now,  This is my first computer with SSD.  Have read that they gave a little higher degree of problems than old HD.  Is that true to you knowledge? 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

And, I cannot turn the power supply off with the switch, I have to unplug the power cord.

I would much rather order a power supply and have this baby running in a few days than initiating an exchange which mean waiting another 30 days to replace this customized computer.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @hpuserid206!

@hpuserid206wrote:

Thanks Old Geekster.

Just one more question.

First, thanks for the info on checking power supply.

Now,  This is my first computer with SSD.  Have read that they gave a little higher degree of problems than old HD.  Is that true to you knowledge? 

Thanks again.

This may have been the case when the SSD's were new on the market, but I have found them to be every bit as reliable as the HDD's.  Also, they add a tremendous amount of system performance increase.

HP Recommended

@hpuserid206wrote:

Thanks again

I believe a failed PSU is most likely the problem.  However, I don't feel comfortable having you buy a new PSU.  There are simply too many other things that could be the cause of your problem.  I suggest that you contact HP Customer Support to see if they can give you any other suggestions on what to do.

HP Recommended

Thanks again.

The issue is being handled.

It has already been sent back to HP...somewhere in TN.

And, a new one will be customized and shipped.  So, it will be another 3 or 4 weeks.

Preciate all the help.

Chow.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @hpuserid206.  I am glad that your problem is solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.