Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
I have an HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC and my problem is when i try to install a new Windows version blue screen with the words IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL shows after windows logo screen and the problem disappears completely when I disable the MULTI PROCESSOR feature within the bios settings the blue screen appears every time i try to boot with multi processor enabled in bios it works only when it is disabled my processor is core 2 due E8400 i don't know what is the reason and how to fix it and need help please .. sorry about poor English
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I don't know what to replace CPU or Motherboard.

Nor do I.  Until one component can be ruled-out, both are suspect.

> I am afraid after buying new CPU found the problem from Motherboard.

Four choices:

* buy a new computer -- very expensive,

* buy a new motherboard, if you can -- expensive,

* buy a "previously-owned" processor from the same "family" -- least expensive,

* buy nothing, leaving your computer "unfixed".

> I tried to boot from windows 10 dvd & usb both failed when multi processor enabled

Yes, you previously have stated that, and also that the built-in HP Diagnostics also fail when multi processor enabled.

3.2 Intel Processors

These systems each feature an Intel processor in a FC-LGA775 package mounted with a heat sink in a zero-insertion force socket. The mounting socket allows the processor to be easily changed for upgrading.

3.2.1 Intel Processor Overview

The models covered in this guide support Intel Celeron, Pentium, and Core 2 processors, including the latest Intel Core 2 Duo, and Core 2 Quad processors.

So, you should be able to find one of the above processors, probably at a local "owner/operator" computer store, at a good price.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

> When i try to install a new Windows version blue screen with the words IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL shows after windows logo screen ...

Which version of Windows are you trying to install? 7? 8? 10?

Are you booting from a DVD containing the original HP-supplied copy of Windows?

Are you booting from a DVD containing the "retail" version of  Windows?

What version of Windows that already is running on your computer, if any?

Have you launched the HP Hardware Diagnostics, to check your computer's hardware?

HP Recommended

thank you for reply .. i have allready custom windows 7 ultimate installed and working fine with one core only of the processor but when i tried to enable multi cores i got blue screen .. i tried to install new windows from all windows version from 7 to 10 it work only when multi cores disabled from bios

i didn't try HP Hardware Diagnostics

today i will try it

HP Recommended

after HP Hardware Diagnostics test. the result found no problem

HP Recommended

I tried to install new windows from all windows version from 7 to 10
it work only when multi cores disabled from bios.

After HP Hardware Diagnostics test. the result found no problem.

Did you enable multi-core before running the HP tests?

Drastic suggestion: replace the processor, in case you think that it is causing the problem.

Hint: even a slower processor, from the same "family" of processors, should work with the motherboard.

HP Recommended

I tried to make a test after enable multi processor but it shows BSOD, so I did it with multi processor disabled and result with no problem .. new thing is i tired to log in safe mode after enable multi processor and it logged in successfully with no error. any suggest of this ?

HP Recommended

> new thing is i tired to log in safe mode after enable multi processor

> it logged in successfully with no error. any suggest of this ?

In "safe mode", fewer device-drivers are loaded.

One of those device-drivers must be the support for multi-core processors.

Have you tried replacing the processor?

Have you enabled multi-processor mode, and then booted from a Windows 10 Installer DVD (or USB memory-stick) ?

HP Recommended

I don't know what to replace CPU or Motherboard

I am afraid after buying new CPU found the problem from Motherboard

I tried to boot from windows 10 dvd & usb both failed when multi processor enabled

I will try other CPU and hope it will fix the problem

thank you very mush for trying to help

HP Recommended

This is "blue screen view" the dump file after enabling multi processor

Untitled.jpg

HP Recommended

> I don't know what to replace CPU or Motherboard.

Nor do I.  Until one component can be ruled-out, both are suspect.

> I am afraid after buying new CPU found the problem from Motherboard.

Four choices:

* buy a new computer -- very expensive,

* buy a new motherboard, if you can -- expensive,

* buy a "previously-owned" processor from the same "family" -- least expensive,

* buy nothing, leaving your computer "unfixed".

> I tried to boot from windows 10 dvd & usb both failed when multi processor enabled

Yes, you previously have stated that, and also that the built-in HP Diagnostics also fail when multi processor enabled.

3.2 Intel Processors

These systems each feature an Intel processor in a FC-LGA775 package mounted with a heat sink in a zero-insertion force socket. The mounting socket allows the processor to be easily changed for upgrading.

3.2.1 Intel Processor Overview

The models covered in this guide support Intel Celeron, Pentium, and Core 2 processors, including the latest Intel Core 2 Duo, and Core 2 Quad processors.

So, you should be able to find one of the above processors, probably at a local "owner/operator" computer store, at a good price.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.