Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 690-1009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

Recently my HP Pavilion Gaming desktop 690-1009 was getting blue screen errors indicating a "unsupported processor" code. After days of trying to boot, repair, and failing I had no choice to bring it in for diagnosis. I've been told the CPU is the problem. It's an Intel i5 9400@ 2900 GHz. As I have a dedicated graphics card I think mine might be the 9400F version without integrated graphics but not sure. Other than cost does this matter?   These are kind of hard to find currently.  Looks like the integrated card is also more $$

I still can't believe the CPU is toast after 15 months of very light use - no gaming at all. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Basman99 

Is it the following machine

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06407977

which has  NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti Graphics (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated)  ? It has Intel® Core™ i5-9400 (2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.1 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Yes that is the correct PC with a 6GB dedicated graphics card. There are some newer i5 CPU's available. In Canada many retailers are out of stock of the original CPU.

I think upgrading to an i7 will be overkill for my use and also much more costly. 

Would an i5-9500F or an i5-9600K work? I've seen it mentioned "compatible with 300 series motherboards only"

Motherboard Description: HP name: Lincs, SSID: 843B

Chipset: H370

TDP: 65 W

Socket Type:  LGA1151_CFL

Thanks,

Dave

HP Recommended

hi

@Basman99  the list of compatible processors, if the right motherboard, is in the given link, the best is to respect this

HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Lincs

SSID: 843B

• TDP: 65 W
  • Socket type: LGA1151_CFL
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Intel Core i5+ 8400 (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-8400 (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)
    65 W
    Intel Core i7+ 8700 (3.2 GHz base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)
    65 W
    Intel Core i7-8700 (3.2 GHz base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)
    65 W
    Intel Core i3-8100 (3.6 GHz base frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    65 W
    Intel Pentium Gold G5400 (3.7 GHz base frequency, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
    54 W - 58 W
    Intel Pentium Gold G5420 3.8 GHz base frequency, 4 MB cache, 2 cores
    54 W
    Intel Celeron G4900 3.1 GHz, 2 MB cache, 2 cores
    54 W
    Intel Celeron G4930 (3.2 GHz base frequency, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)
    54 W
    Intel Core i7-9700 (3 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i7-9700F 3 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.