Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OfficejetJ6480
Level 2
16 10 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Can a desktop power on without a hard drive installed?

HP Recommended
HP COMPAQ SR5233 desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

HP COMPAQ SR5233 Desktop,  Win. 7 32bit

Hello,

I need to use an old desktop to access old files in hard drive (if it's there). 

I attached the power cord and necessary external accessories.

The power-on button doesn't light up, and the desktop doesn't start up.  Nothing.

I'm wondering that the hard drive may not be installed. (I had this computer's data transferred to a new HP desktop early 2021 by a local PC shop. Then put the SR5233 away - never used or touched it at all.)

I have tried two other power cords (one from my new HP desktop-EliteDesk, one from an old Gateway PC). They don't work either.   And, I have triple or more checked the connections on either end of cord.  And the PC worked fine before moving on to the new PC (which I purchased to obtain Win. 10).

Or do you know of another possible reason why power isn't on?

Can a desktop button show power without a hard drive installed?

It has Windows 7 32bit.

I imagine a HD is what makes computer boot up.  But is the HD necessary to allow power to the PC?

(If HD missing, I have considered that I didn't receive it when the transfer of data was made and I took home the two PC's.)

I need the data.

Thank you in advance.

Massachusetts

Massachusetts
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,703 93,360 12,271 26,101
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OfficejetJ6480 

Without HDD, machine may turn ON  and give a message saying you need to install HDD or something for machine to boot.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,703 93,360 12,271 26,101
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OfficejetJ6480 

Without HDD, machine may turn ON  and give a message saying you need to install HDD or something for machine to boot.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

HC_PC
Level 4
90 70 4 5
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much. And good to know. 

So just now I gave it a fresh try again. Unplug and replug, which i’ve tried before. It turned on and see the HDD. 
Go figure.
All set!

thanks!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation