Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1280t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to follow https://support.hp.com/nz-en/product/hp-z1-workstation/5230510/document/c04760917 to enable Security > System Security > Virtualization Technology (VTx) but I don't even see that option in my BIOS. All I can see is the first one - Data Execution Prevention.

My CPU is Intel-Core-i7-3960X and I verify it supports VT-x.

image.png

I also check my win10 system info -

image.png

Could anyone help me to find and enable Virtualization Technology (VT-x) in my desktop?

Would it help if I upgrade BIOS to latest version (below) ?

image.png

Thank you so much!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if you can find the setting as in the picture below...

Carmel2 bios VT setting.jpg

HP Recommended

image.png

No I can not. I can only see the first option even though I just updated to last version of BIOS. This is because my version is too old?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know why your PC doesn't have the setting, and I don't know a way to get the setting to show up.

It should be there regardless of what BIOS revision you are running.

The processor supports VT.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I found out the motherboard is IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh).  Maybe I need to adjust jumper to solve this?

When HP assembled this PC, maybe they put this CPU in this motherboard and BISO which didn't support Virtualization Tech (VTx)?

Getting frustrated... seems like there is no way to reach out to HP technician for the support.

Even if this HP PC was made in 2012, it cost almost $3000. If I have no choice but to buy a new PC because of this issue, I don't think I would buy from HP again.

HP Recommended

I can't find that virtualization technology option in my bios. Can u help me out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.