Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I Recently purchased an HP Omen Obelisk from my local Best Buy for 1 cent under $2000. From what I can tell it was a fairly powerful gaming tower with an intel 8700 and gtx 2080... However, I only used it to play World of Warcraft Classic. Now, anyone that knows World of Warcraft knows that it is not a graphically demanding game. One night during a leveling session in Scarlet Monastery my PC suddenly shut off with no warning. It tried restarting itself with automatic repair but a blue screen of death popped up DRIVER IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL with a website link to www.windows.com/stopcode

It restarted itself and several loud beeps came from the computer tower and not my speakers. When everything loaded a SYTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error appeared and the PC restarted with several beeps after it repeated with the following errors followed by beeps. SYTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED...........PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA..........DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER........ Finally a CMOS error and the cycle repeated itself. I tried loading safe mode but safe mode F8 is disabled on windows 10 (LOL WHY!?). Now I’m stuck where my PC tries to automatically repair itself but can’t because it gets a blue screen of death and I can’t do anything except look at an endless string of errors and my PC reboots itself over and over in an endless hopeless cycle  . Tried reseating the RAM and graphics card but man the graphics card was HOT like a few degrees short of burning my fingers HOT. I have no idea why it would be so hot when the computer had been basically dead for 4 hours. Anyway after that I ran several hardware diagnostics as that was the only thing I could get to work and they all came back fine. Now I have created a windows 10 recovery drive on a USB but I can’t seem to get the computer to boot from it. What do I do now ????

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

The usual method to boot from a USB flash drive is as follows...

Turn on the PC.

Rapidly tap the ESC key immediately at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

That should get a list of menu items to show up.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the USB diskette on key/USB flash drive, and press the Enter key.

The PC is now supposed to boot from the flash drive.

If that doesn't work, repeat the first step, and this time select the F10 setup option.

Go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

Save the settings and exit.

Repeat the steps to get to the F9 prompt but this time select the Legacy USB diskette on key/USB flash drive, and press the enter key.

HP Recommended

Ok tried the esc key then F9 at startup and saw the following list 

UEFI Boot Sources

OS BOOT MANAGER

Windows Boot Manager (SK Hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A)

UEFI: PNY USB 2.0 FD PMAP

Legacy Boot sources

I highlighted the UEFI: PNY USB 2.0 FD PMAP and hit enter. After trying to boot I got the old error that I have been getting PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA.

Next boot up I went to the BIOS and enabled legacy and disabled secure boot. Went through the esc and F9 process and saw the same list as before.

i thought maybe selecting legacy boot sources would do something but when I hit enter on it nothing happens so I hit the USB option again this time I got a new error that  I haven’t seen before KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED .

I don’t know maybe I created a bad recovery drive.i just went to a different PC in the house that also had windows 10 and used a brand new 32 gb flash drive purchased just for this purpose. Does the fact that I used a different PC make it so the broken computer does not recognize it? 

HP Recommended

Ok there is something wrong in the BIOS it isn’t saving the changes I make. When I disable secure boot and enable legacy then hit save changes and exit. On the next boot up I go right back into the BIOS and see that secure boot is enabled and legacy is disabled.... huh!? 

HP Recommended

It shouldn't matter on what PC you create the bootable media on.

Something is messed up big-time.

You should have an option to save the changes at the point you make them and again when you exit the BIOS.

You have to save the settings in both places.

At least that is how it is on my other HP PC's.

I don't have your model so I don't know how the BIOS is set up.

Are you still within the BBY return window?

If you are, I recommend that you box the PC up and return it.

HP Recommended

ok was able to have the BIOS save changes by entering it by hitting F10 at start up it wouldn’t save changes entering it any other way .

Now Legacy Boot Sources has subcategories when I hit ESC and F9 at startup.

When I select the USB option under Legacy Boot Sources a blue windows logo appears with a loading progress indicator under it.

It suddenly gets a blue screen of death error when almost finished.

IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL.  ........... sigh so close.

I don’t know what to do now. Im going to run extensive diagnostics instead of fast diagnostics on my hardware to see if that finds any problems . Could take up to 8 hours .... will post here if I make any progress 

HP Recommended

Extensive diagnostics found no problems. 

Was going to just return this thing found my receipt and saw that there is only a 15 day window for returns. I’ve had this thing for three weeks so that’s out the window.

I guess I just got gang-banged by Hewlett-Packard and Best Buy for $2000.... 

HP Recommended

IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL.  ..........usually indicate a video card driver problem.

Try booting the system in SAFE MODE and install another driver !

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

F8 Safe mode is disabled automatically on this rig due to some new windows 10 "fast boot" thing that I dont completely understand. If I had known safe mode was disabled I would have turned it on while I had the chance.  I have no way of enabling safe mode now as I dont get the chance to make any inputs before it blue screens and restarts.

Anyway I took my PC into a local PC repair shop got a call the next morning and was told that  the motherboard was bad.

Ok I drove 4 hours round trip and went and bought a MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard and a new 850W powers upply as the 500w power supply that came with my HP Obelisk was pathetically inadequate for the hardware it came with.

Anyway, i get home and I find that the PC tower case cant handle the new motherboard because its too small. This  HP PC TOWER  that I bought from best buy 3 weeks ago for $2000 the most expensive PC they had in stock cant handle a gaming motherboard!!!

I was flabbergasted and extremely pissed off so  I FORCIBLY MADE ROOM  inside of the case and just put the case on its side. put the new motherboard in hooked it up all of the components and turned it on...........

AND STARTED GETTING THE SAME ERRORS I WAS GETTING BEFORE.....  

So... the local pc repair shop was wrong saying my motherboard was bad as the problem obviously lies elsewhere.... if I am getting the same errors on a new motherboard.

Now im left with a frankenstein of a PC laying on its side with its guts exposed sitting inside of a thrashed up case ..... the old heat sync doesnt even reach the new motherboard so it is just resting on the processor.

Next im getting a new PC tower case and heat sync/fan.

I dont know if I could even call it a HP PC anymore. But im not giving up, I will replace every last part of this thing if I have to.

My 3 week vacation from work starts this Monday and I need to get back into World of Warcraft damnit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.