Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pav 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have disconnected the HDD and installed 2 SSD drives. With UEFI, dual booting is a constant challenge. I get it to make a boot choice in the firmware and it resets itself next time. I tried the bcdboot commands. Again works and then changes..

On my previous PCs, I had win10 legacy and everything worked to perfection. I was  able to use  EasyBCD and have the choice with each restart. I did my backups by cloning to the second drive.

With the HP win10 load, it comes with UEFI.

If I switch to legacy, what will I lose from HP? Will it affect my warranty? I can live without the automatic repair and I suppose I can reinstall via a USB boot without losing data.

I would appreciate a complete understanding.

thanks..

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Gooot

Once Windows is installed, you can not switch from UEFI to Legacy, because doing so will prevent Windows from booting.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Why then does the UEFI firmware options screen include boot to Legacy?

If so, how do I reload Windows in legacy mode?

HP Recommended

@Gooot

The options for for installing OSs either in UEFI mode or Legacy mode -- but you have to be running in the same mode in which you installed the OS.  IF you install in UEFI mode and switch then to Legacy, Windows will not boot.

To install in Legacy mode, two things must be true:

1) PC must be running in Legacy mode

2) Windows install media must support MBR mode

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I'm still confused.

Are you saying that I am locked into the Win10 version that came with the two HPs I just bought from them?

That there is no way for me to change to Legacy or a simple way to dual boot a cloned drive with the original Win10 without going through the UEFI firmware options each time?

HP Recommended

@Gooot

Basically -- yes.  Win10 installation media can be UEFI, MBR, or both -- but if the media you have is UEFI only, then you can't install it in MBR mode.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to keep dwelling on this but I'm sure you have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Since this is what HP gave me, is there a way for me to reinstall Win10 and retain my authorization without losing data and be able to boot to legacy?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Gooot

Sorry, but there is no way to retain anything and do a reinstall using the HP media. The first thing that media does is reformat the entire hard drive, effectively removing everything on it.

As to the "authorization", I think you mean "activation" -- and that will be done automatically for you.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.