Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6305 small form factor PC

I dont remember the BIOS password for my HP Compaq Pro 6305 small form factor PC. I trying to reset password but I can't.

I try this instruction but nothing happen.

1. To clear the Setup or Power-On passwords, and clear any other settings, power down the computer, remove the AC power cord and the computer hood.
  2. Locate the green two pin password jumper on header E49 (labeled PSWD) and remove it.
  3. Press the clear CMOS button. This is typically a yellow push button labeled CMOS.
  4. Replace the hood and AC power cord and turn the computer on. The passwords and any other CMOS (nonvolatile memory) settings are now cleared.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If removing the green clear password jumper did not clear the BIOS P/W, then someone set the Stringent Security option in the BIOS when the P/W was set up.

The Stringent Security setting overrides the green jumper so the P/W can never be cleared.

A replacement motherboard that does not have a BIOS P/W would be required to resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If removing the green clear password jumper did not clear the BIOS P/W, then someone set the Stringent Security option in the BIOS when the P/W was set up.

The Stringent Security setting overrides the green jumper so the P/W can never be cleared.

A replacement motherboard that does not have a BIOS P/W would be required to resolve the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

You said there is not anyway to use this motherboard. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.