Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion Desktop 570-p017c

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20200719205356.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 585 GB (444 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AC2, ver 2.00, s/n 114082020010781
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n MXX212010H
Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

computer freezes every so often no matter if I'm on the Internet or not. Just started this a couple of days ago. Have not added any hardware or software or made any changes to the computer what-so-ever. 

I have the newest Windows updates installed.  Rebooting solves the problem for a few hours and then it  freezes again. I get NO error messages or beeps or anything like that. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ha a report from Norton Antivirus that my computer has 5 Registry errors that may cause frees-ups and slow computer. 

Of course they are trying to sell me their Registry cleaner.  Might be the answer for my freezing problem though?

Appreciate your opinion on  Registry cleaner programs is general and any suggestions of a good one?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

A computer lockup with no error messages is a hardware problem.  

It is possible your system has built in diagnostics and can report errors or even list the highest temperatures.

Press ESC several times after powering on and run the diagnostic program.

If no diagnostic using ESC then download HP's diagnostic

https://support.hp.com/us-en/help/hp-pc-hardware-diagnostics

1.8.0.0 is what I have

You can also monitor temperatures on screen to see if too high.  I use Tthrottle but there are other.  Are your fans spinning?  When what the last time you clean / removed the dust bunnies?

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Opened the case and cleaned it (although it wasn't very bad) checked and cleaned all the fans and they where all working when powered on and the case was open so I could see them. Check for loose cables but found none. I have not done any diagnostics but the problem persists. I will do a diagnostics but my best guess at the point is graphics needs updated driver. Never updated any drivers on this machine since I go it. It's 4 1/2 years old.

HP Recommended

Ha a report from Norton Antivirus that my computer has 5 Registry errors that may cause frees-ups and slow computer. 

Of course they are trying to sell me their Registry cleaner.  Might be the answer for my freezing problem though?

Appreciate your opinion on  Registry cleaner programs is general and any suggestions of a good one?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.