Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new computer and I ran into two issues on the second day of owning it, and I am not sure if the issues are related or not, or even if they were just one time flukes. I am not even sure what to really check.

The first problem was that while my computer was asleep, I tried to get on it and it wouldn't wake up. I had to eventually just hold the power button down to turn it off and turn it back on to fix it. It was just that one time, normally it does wake up from sleep mode.

The second issue is that I shut down the computer and it seemed like it was a normal shutdown and the screen went black and the PC wasn't sending any information to the monitor, but the PC was still running and wouldn't turn off. Again I had to eventually hold down the power button to turn it off.

So I am not sure if those are software issues with windows 10, or if it might be a hint of some hardware issue. I did try checking for updates and there was a small optional windows update, so I am not sure if that will effect anything but I installed that. Any way, I am not even sure what else to really check to see if there are issues, so I would appreciated any insight on this problem.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Things got a lot worse. I had another issue where the computer wouldn't wake up from sleeping and had to turn the power off to get it to restart. I had already checked all the updates for windows so after that I tried all the updates in the hp support assistance and installed those. I restarted my computer after doing that and the computer no longer booted at all. After several attempts I had to do a factory restore and reinstall windows.

I hope that resolved the issue, because I don't know what to do if reinstalling windows didn't fix whatever the problem was.

HP Recommended

Nope the restore and reinstalling windows didn't work. Once again when I shut down the computer tonight it wouldn't turn off. After I turned it off and turned it back on it took like 6 minutes to load windows and once at the desktop it took 2 minutes before anything would work. At this point I am not sure if there is anything to do but send the computer back. Seems like it is dying on me and it is only 3 days old.

HP Recommended

@JamesT2

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

• Step 1: Remove discs and devices
  • Step 2: Perform a hard reset
  • Step 3: Run hardware diagnostic tests
  • Step 4: Refresh or reset your PC

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04718479 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, I think I might of solved it. The problem didn't happen every time I shutdown or the computer went into sleep, so I am not positive yet but it hasn't locked up yet after I did one thing. Which was turn off windows fast startup(which is set as the default option when I got the computer). Now that I am thinking about it, I actually do recall having some issue with fast startup with my last computer as well. I will give it another day or so to see if that resolved the issue but I think it might have.

HP Recommended

So I thought turning off quick startup solved it as  the problem didn't occur again for a few days but it has happened again twice recently. Specifically the computer not coming out of sleep mode. I have not ran into the failed to shut off issue though.

HP Recommended

This is also a very similar issue that I've been having with my:  HP All-in-One - 20-c020 PC.  Whenever the PC goes to sleep it will not wake back up through any means except for holding down the power button and rebooting it after it's been fully turned off.

HP Recommended

@JamesT2 @MV20

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:
Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: ( do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating ) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Installed all relevant updates, then did a PC restore.  Reinstalled all windows updates and HP support updates.  did not have to update the BIOS as it's already on the newest one.  Did try the automatic updater on HP support to be sure though.

Did all of this and now sometimes when you put the computer to sleep the issue does not occur but it still does it about 90% of the time.

Also I'm seeing this specific issue coming up multiple times during the last handful of months.  I'd think something broke recently with a Windows update or an HP driver update in my opinion.  

HP Recommended

@MV20

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.