cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Computer makes 3 long beeps, 2 short beeps and doesn’t turn on

HP Recommended
hp pavilion desktop pc 690-0042ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I tried to change the ram of my computer, yet when I connected the new ram, it didn’t work. Out of panic, I put the old ram back in the computer. However this didn’t work and now the computer is making 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps. Now, I am clueless of what to do. Please, I need your help

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,365 6,350 604 1,387
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The new memory may be incompatible or it was not seated correctly.

Seeing the same error when reinstalling the factory memory probably means you are not seating the memory correctly.

Make sure the memory module retention clips are locking and the memory is fully seated in each memory socket.

Try one stick of factory memory in each memory socket, start the PC to test for a successful POST. There is a slight chance one or both memory sockets could have been damaged when installing the new memory or reinstalling the factory memory. Hopefully this is not the case.

Adding this to the reply. It is also possible you may have to reset CMOS by pulling the CR2032 motherboard battery before you try the factory RAM again. PCs are strange beasts at times.

Regards

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation