Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion desktop pc 690-0042ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I tried to change the ram of my computer, yet when I connected the new ram, it didn’t work. Out of panic, I put the old ram back in the computer. However this didn’t work and now the computer is making 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps. Now, I am clueless of what to do. Please, I need your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The new memory may be incompatible or it was not seated correctly.

Seeing the same error when reinstalling the factory memory probably means you are not seating the memory correctly.

Make sure the memory module retention clips are locking and the memory is fully seated in each memory socket.

Try one stick of factory memory in each memory socket, start the PC to test for a successful POST. There is a slight chance one or both memory sockets could have been damaged when installing the new memory or reinstalling the factory memory. Hopefully this is not the case.

Adding this to the reply. It is also possible you may have to reset CMOS by pulling the CR2032 motherboard battery before you try the factory RAM again. PCs are strange beasts at times.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

The new memory may be incompatible or it was not seated correctly.

Seeing the same error when reinstalling the factory memory probably means you are not seating the memory correctly.

Make sure the memory module retention clips are locking and the memory is fully seated in each memory socket.

Try one stick of factory memory in each memory socket, start the PC to test for a successful POST. There is a slight chance one or both memory sockets could have been damaged when installing the new memory or reinstalling the factory memory. Hopefully this is not the case.

Adding this to the reply. It is also possible you may have to reset CMOS by pulling the CR2032 motherboard battery before you try the factory RAM again. PCs are strange beasts at times.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.