Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Media Center PC m8013w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have been having some issues with my desktop PC over the past couple months. First off I will say that I had Windows 10 installed on the PC when it started to act up. I have since wiped the system and tried 3 different OS and the issues persist. 
my PC started acting up while idle, it would either freeze up to the point where I had to force shutdown, or it would power off without warning and wouldn’t restart. Then there was some issues during startup where it would get to the windows loading screen and it would just power off without warning, I would eventually get it to load to the desktop and was able to use full function. The computer never powered off while I was using it, only during idle. 
As of last week it got to the point that it wouldn’t get past the loading screen and would just power off and I have yet to get it to the desktop. I decided to wipe the HD and reinstall Windows 7 back on it ( I used 7 to get the upgrade to 10), it would start the install and would get to the point where it needs its first restart during instillation and would start the sequence to shut down and it would just power off and not turn back on. I then tried again and the same result. I then took my Vista recovery CD to try and load Vista on it ( It came from the factory with Vista in 2007) I got the same result. I then used an old XP OS to try loading that on there and IT WORKED!! I could access whatever I need to do minus getting on the internet.

I have done some looking and talked to plenty of people and I have been told it could be a heating issue or an issue with my power supply. I upgraded my power supply (From 300w to 575w) and I also had new Thermal Paste applied to my CPU. I have tried to load in Safe Mode and it starts running down a list of items then stops and a few seconds later it powers off again. I have gone to the extreme of unhooking everything that doesn’t need to be hooked up and have checked all connections and the issue still continues.

I just don’t know what else I could do to fix it, I would really appreciate any and all insight that you could give me. 
Thanks,

Nate

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

See if you can create a 'HP Vision Diags' bootable USB stick off another PC. The is the link ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp92501-93000/sp92620.exe

Your PC pre-dates UEFI, so the UEFI diags will not work.

See if that throws up any errors to do with HDD or RAM.

Failing that, try another video card (if you've got one or can borrow one) or try using the on-board graphics (if available)

It's a very old machine, and not worth spending too much money on. You could get a 2nd hand Dell Optiplex i5-4570 with 8GB RAM for around $250 off of eBay.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I will see if I can do that. Also the issue started while I was using my aftermarket video card which had been in my pc for the past year, I took it out during all of the attempts to get it running and have been using my onboard video since I wiped all the drivers from the aftermarket one. I have also moved around my 3 sticks of RAM that I have and even removed some of them as a try. I currently have 2 1gb and 1 2gb sticks. My HDD is also aftermarket 640gb that was purchased in 2009 after my factory one bricked. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.