Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP s5653uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all.

I start by saying I was on my PC when it suddenly tripped out. I tried to turn it back on but it turns on for a second with all fans but the GPU spinning? And it repeats this over and over. I did get it to turn on once but without display. What is the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Are there any motherboards which will fit this case?

Specifications for your (first produced in 2010) motherboard:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5600-desktop-pc-series/4269980/model/4325...

Motherboard description:

•Manufacturer's motherboard name: MS-7613
•HP/Compaq name: Iona

Form Factor:

•Micro-ATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 in) x 24.4 cm (9.6 in)

So, it seems that any "micro-ATX" motherboard will fit.  Be sure to get a "face-plate" that is compatible with the external ports on the replacement motherboard.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

>  What is the problem?

There are several possibilities:

* overheating caused the first shutdown -- the motherboard did this, to react to "over-temperature",

* failing power-supply

* failing processor

* failing motherboard

You wrote that the 'GPU' fan is not spinning.

Did you mean 'GPU' or 'CPU'?

If you meant GPU, and that fan is not spinning, then it is possible that theh graphics-card overheated, and burnt itself out, with the resulting symptom being "no video output".

If you are good with "part-swapping", you might individually try that, to try to isolate the point of failure.

If you are not comfortable doing so, it's time to take your computer to a qualified computer technician, or to a friend who "tinkers" with computers, and works for "free".

HP Recommended

The power lights are on, on the PSU so I believe it is the motherboard or the cpu. When i said the GPU the fan doesnt always spin when i go to turn it on.

The GPU seems okay as when it turns on the monitor flashes as if it aknowledges something is there. I believe a dead motherboard or cpu can also make the video output to nil?

I need a more modern Motherboard really it is MS 7613 which doesnt have anymore bios updates which support the latests GPUs. Is there any mobos which will fit this case?

HP Recommended

> Are there any motherboards which will fit this case?

Specifications for your (first produced in 2010) motherboard:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5600-desktop-pc-series/4269980/model/4325...

Motherboard description:

•Manufacturer's motherboard name: MS-7613
•HP/Compaq name: Iona

Form Factor:

So, it seems that any "micro-ATX" motherboard will fit.  Be sure to get a "face-plate" that is compatible with the external ports on the replacement motherboard.

HP Recommended

Face plate meaning the back ports? As i'd need to modify the back of it right?

HP Recommended

> Face plate meaning the back ports?

Yes, it is a metal plate that faces out, and has various holes to exposes the external I/O ports (Ethernet, PS/2, USB, VGA, sound, et cetera).

> As i'd need to modify the back of it right?

The point of the face-plate is to block air-flow from going "around" the external ports, so that the air-flow inside the case is "optimal" -- one "entry" point for cool air, and one or two "exhaust" points for warm air.

Example of "good" air-flow:

Given that the current case is shaped for a "micro-ATX" motherboad, and its matching "face-plate", your replacement motherboard with its face-plate should not need to be modified.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciate it

HP Recommended

The measurements you say the Motherboard is really hard to find atm... could I get something a bit smaller?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1151-STRIX-Z270G-GAMING-M-ATX/dp/B01N6JE6Z7/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&... would that be okay ?

HP Recommended

I found this https://macrotronics.net/product_info.php/msi-b250m-mortar-motherboard-ddr4-lga-1151-p-12073 but on amazon the measurements are wrong but the same product?

HP Recommended

> could I get something a bit smaller?

Yes.  Your current motherboard:

Form Factor:

If you find a smaller motherboard, it can be used.

There's enough "flexibility" in how the motherboard screws-down onto the computer's case to handle a smaller motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.