Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6040n
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I installed a new CMOS battery into my computer.  Now the computer wont boot.  Instead, the computer makes a short beep and then a long beep, and continues that pattnern. 

I was reading online that I need to figure out what that beep pattern means.  Each bios manufacturer has different meanings for each beep pattern.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I took out one ram stick, put it back in.  I repeated this for the other ram stick.  That seems to have fixed the problem.

Shortly before this, I also disconnected and reconnected the sata cable, though I don't think that had anything to do with fixing the problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC is no longer supported by HP if Pavilion A6040n is the correct product number.

Why did you replace the CR2032 motherboard battery? Did this error condition exist before you replaced the MB battery? You may have damaged the MB if the answer to my last question is no.

One beep could be any number of different problems depending on the date your PC was manufactured and the BIOS manufacturer HP was using at that time.

For example, possible BIOS error conditions resulting in a one beep error code:

Memory Timing Failure,

No Media Detected,

Legacy Floppy Drive or CD/DVD Drive not detected.

Regards

HP Recommended

I replaced the cmos battery because the clock was losing time.  The clock continued to lose time even after I installed a new operating system.  In any event, I didn't see much harm in changing the battery because it costed only $2.

The computer model number is correct.  I am not surprised that it's no longer supported, as the computer is now quite old.

The computer did not have any such symptoms (not able to boot) before I took out the CMOS battery.  When I took out the CMOS battery, I disconnected a USB to motherboard cord so that I could gain better access.  However, I think I plugged it back in correctly and I even tried keeping it disconnected and that did not help either.

Thank you for the ideas of what the beep could mean. 

Let me know if you have any ideas of what I should do.

HP Recommended

Hi Silverthunder,

You're very welcome.

Replacing the MB battery was the correct procedure. 

It's tough to troubleshoot a PC without having access to hardware specs. Old age points to hardware failure.

I can only tell you to investigate the possible error conditions in my first response.

The system may be at the end of it's useful life.

Regards

HP Recommended

Here is some info that I saw printed on the motherboard:

PSLP-LE

Rev 5.03

N13219

I did a web search and it seems as though this is an Asus motherboard.  So far from what I am reading, it seems to be a problem with the Ram.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Best wishes.

You have work to do.

Regards

HP Recommended

I took out one ram stick, put it back in.  I repeated this for the other ram stick.  That seems to have fixed the problem.

Shortly before this, I also disconnected and reconnected the sata cable, though I don't think that had anything to do with fixing the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.