Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE 1120-a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC is a Pavilion HPE 1120-a, with an IPMMB-FM (Formosa) Motherboard. The BIOS version is 8.21 (Revision A) which supports UEFI. However, my PC is currently Legacy BIOS. 

I'm aware of a Windows 10 command prompt method to convert from MBR to GPT. However, once I do that, what am I supposed to do in my BIOS to make sure it boots the drive as UEFI and not Legacy. Otherwise it won't be able to boot.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jacques_A 

All the details I have read about converting from MBR to GPT, or vice-versa, claim that data retention is NOT guaranteed.  In fact, the MS instructions on this even say to completely back up the data before doing this and reload it after the conversion is done.

IF your Windows was installed in legacy mode, then why NOW are you trying to convert to UEFI/GPT?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.