Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G1 Microtower PCXX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In March my power supply died.  I replaced it, then a week later the hard drive would not boot.  I assumed the power supply took out the hard drive.

I installed new hard drive, and installed windows. 

Last week one of my data drives disappears from the system. I opened the case and reseated all the cables and power on, Now getting "Media test failure - check cable". then goes to no boot drive found.

I swapped cables and Sata channels, no boot. I unplugged all other drives, no boot.  Eventually it stopped showing the "media test failure" in POST, it's going right to no boot drive found. I turned on full POST in bios, still can't see that error.

I can see the drive from the Bios utility. When I boot from my install image on thumb drive, I can CD to the drive and view it's contents. The drive is not dead, the controller is not dead. I suppose the image could be corrupted. It's a brand new drive with a fresh win 7install.  Windows repair can not see the installation.  I started a clean install, windows install can see the old installation, because it offers to copy the files to and "old" directory.

Could the board be damaged, and corrupting drive images?  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Bob

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

have you consider having malware/viruses? did you check for it?

just do a clean-reinstall and see if the problem reappear...Motherboard is not dead...and the drives are good too...and as long as you can see them in BIOS....then its an Operating system issue...

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.