Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-0049
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP ENVY DESKTOP with WINDOWS 10 HOME (64 BIT). I used to have HP PAVILLION with Windows 10 PRO (64 bit).

I have recovery disks + SYSTEM REPAIR DISK + BOOTABLE IMAGE FILES from HP PAVILLION - i.e. WINDOWS 10 PRO (64 BIT). What I want to do is create a dual boot on HP ENVY so that i can boot from WINDOWS 10 PRO (64 BIT). There are many functions which CANNOT be executed in WINDOWS 10 HOME edition (64 BIT). Yes, HP has offered to covert WINDOWS 10 HOME TO WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR A FEE WHICH I DO NOT WANT TO PAY.

I have an external drive which i can use to boot the second image - WINDOWS 10 PRO (64 bit).

Any other option would be considered too. Basically all i need is WINDOWS 10 PRO (64 bit)

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello
what exactly do you want in this case?
Personally I have a doubt, if you have recovery discs for another model, they may not work with the new one!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@KERICHO 

Even if the install works, you will run into a licensing problem.  Win10 Home licenses are different from Win10 Pro.  So after you install Win10 Pro, it will become deactivated and you will not be able to use the HP Home license to activate it.

You also won't be able to copy anything that will fix that from the other PC because OEM licenses are tied to the original PC, not to the owner.  So, you can't use the Pro license from that PC on the Home PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Mr. Wood,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I fail to understand as to WHY IT WILL NOT WORK.

Both OS are licensed so when i boot from WINDOWS 10 HOME - HP license for HOME kicks in and when i BOOT from WINDOWS 10 PRO (my alternate boot) once again HP License will kick in - WOULD IT NOT?

Basically, as i mentioned, I NEED WINDOWS 10 PRO on my desktop.

However THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR DETAILED RESPONSE

HP Recommended

THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME TO RESPOND.

Yes, that is what i feared - that HP "ties" up the Hardware to very strict "rules-&-regulations".

THANK YOU SO MUCH 

HP Recommended

Hello
my answer was quite simple indeed ..
But easy to test, and you can be fixed right away
As I mentioned, it may simply not work with disk recovery.
You probably won't even be able to install the system
It doesn't seem to me that there are any similar issues with windows 10 already, but just see this:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c03483233#AbT1

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@KERICHO 

The Windows 10 version that comes preloaded is licensed for one version only -- Home or Pro -- but not both.

So while you can certainly install Pro, or any other Windows version, eventually, when you are running Pro, unless you bought a separate license for it, it will deactivate.

HP Recommended

i don't quite understand what you mean @WAWood 

According to what microsoft says, it is worth a try, if what is described is feasible.
but I advise if possible to use another hard drive, or SSD in order to do the tests with an installation of windows 10 pro
It is not the same thing effectively, but I used for a long time windows 7 oem and windows 10 in dual boot, on the same computer without activation problem (I did not have a purchased product key)

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

You seem to be making a point of arguing with me on nearly every thread -- and I am getting tired of it!

If you have issues with my comments, you are supposed to use PM -- not argue in the threads!

HP Recommended

Forgive me, but it is you here who come second and discuss my answers
I just keep responding to the user!
Personally I have no problems with the opinions of other users, the goal being to find a solution!
I just didn't understand your last intervention
"The Windows 10 version that comes preloaded is licensed for one version only - Home or Pro - but not both."
So while you can certainly install Pro, or any other Windows version, eventually, when you are running Pro, unless you bought a separate license for it, it will deactivate.

The user, if I understood correctly, wants to use the windows version of his new computer!
Then install a windows pro version from another computer
It was for me thus impossible indeed, but according to what Microsoft indicates, as I specified it, in certain cases, it is possible to use windows, if one changed hardware ..
And I'm just saying that in this case you can always try on another hard drive, maybe it won't work here, but it's worth a try, knowing that a pro version may come at some cost!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.