Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-524
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy 750-524 died in the midst of light use.  Troubleshooting at a local authorized repair center (Micro Center in Bronx) points at either motherboard (Odense2-K) or CPU (Core i7-7700).  Do I have any reasonable options for repair?  It ran nicely for 18 months with upgraded Corsair RM650X PSU supporting a little-used NVidia Quadro K400 graphics card I put in before use.  Nobody wants to touch it, recommending I replace.  But got significant HW/SW investment sunk in this.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a minimal cost (refurb?) configuration I might be able to find that I could install my HDs, PSU and graphics card into, with comparable performance?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Micro Center could be correct.

Motherboards fail. CPUs can fail but this is very unlikely unless you have messed with the CPU. A failing power supply can take out all components connected to the MB. The Rm650x is a very good PSU.  This power supply has high tech features which should stop damage to the motherboard and attached components when it fails.

You could have a short caused by a component or peripheral connected to the PC. The PSU detects this and will not provide power to the motherboard.

Describe symptoms. Maybe the Forum can help, no guarantees.

It is good also to get a second opinion from a local, reliable, and independent  PC technician.

Regards

HP Recommended

No preliminary symptoms for the 18 months it worked fine until it died,  full stop.  Would not reboot.  No screen of death, no nothing.  Just dead.  Checked out PSU,  it passes the Corsair test.  UBREAKIFIX claimed after a call that they could fix it, then after they had it for a few days, said they "do not have the tools".  Drove 20 miles to Best Buy's Geeks; after a few minutes in the back, tech said they are not supposed to touch anything that has been modified...  Went another 10-15 miles to Micro Center, described the situation to the tech; after  a few minutes on his database he said it would cost $600+ to order and install a new motherboard, only available from HP.  Suggested I buy a new computer.

Asking this board is my hail Mary pass...  If nothing else I'd like to re-use my SSD and 1TB HD with 2x8GB GB of DDR4s, but there seems to be little that can use this.  Heck, if I could find a refurb or a reasonably price Odense2-K motherboard, I'd tackle myself.

Thanks anyway, Grzwacz.  Anybody else have a suggestion?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

The first doctor you go to because you have a pain in your finger tells you we have to amputate your arm.

Get an opinion from a good local PC technician.

Best Buy and Micro Center would like to sell new components and new PCs.

Try eBay. Maybe you can get an exact replacement MB.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.