Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop PC Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, please help...

I have a HP ENVY Desktop PC Series

Model No. : 750-624

I  just get this error message error " boot device not found "  3FO Error

and will not Boot into Windows 10.

1) I ran the Diagnostic tools ( Short and Extended) on the Hard Drive and no errors found, all okay.

(Memory Tests also okay)

2) I thought it might be a UEIF Configuration Issue, but also tried with Secure Boot and Legacy Boot, they both give me different screens (Blue and Black Screen) but both have the same error message "3F0 Error"

3) The Desktop has 16 GB in Ram Memory and a16 GB OPTANE memory module and a 1 TB WD Blue Hard Drive.

- Can not find Optane Memory Info in BIOS.

4) When using System Recovery F11, I get the "Recovery Manager Screen", but the "System Recovery" option can not be selected.

5) I am able to access my Partition Data from the Hard Drive on another computer, but can not Boot to my OS, or rn a Factory Restore.

Nothing worked to fix my problem ...

Can anyone help me or guide me, I don't think the HD is bad, I think it is some issue with the Optane Memory....

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not a Intel Optane fan. I recommend replacing the Intel drive with a 512 GB or 1 TB M.2 2280 NVME drive. Your MB should support a 2280 drive. HP does not specify this fact at this site (Link). The MB M.2 socket must support a 80 mm (length) drive to install a 2280 drive.

Install the operating system clean on this drive or clone the existing operating system on the platter HDD to this replacement drive. 

Check the Optane drive as follows: Set the BIOS to AHCI. Install the Optane drive in the M.2 socket. Enter the BIOS to verify this drive is detected. No detection suggests this drive has failed.

HP Part Surfer (Link) search results for a Intel Optane part are negative. You would have to check online sites like Newegg or Amazon for a replacement Optane drive if you want Optane.

You need the IRST RAID driver at this site (Link) to run an Optane setup.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

It sounds like the 16 GB M.2 Optane module has failed. The operating system is on the platter HDD. The Optane drive is a cache drive.

Remove the Optane drive to see if the PC will start Windows. The PC may run much slower if you can run Windows without the Optane drive.

You may have to replace or reseat the Optane drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you, my brains were overheating to understand what was going on, I am new to how Optane Works.

You are right it is something with the Optane Module, I reinstalled my OS on the Hard Drive, but for sure the computer is running SLOW, I was able to view the OPTANE in DISKPART.

List Disk

Disk 0 - 931 GB --> My 1 TB Hard Drive (Online)

Disk 1 - 0 GB -->Should be the 16GB M.2 Optane ?

How can I reset it, test it or reinstall it to recover my computer's performance?

My Intel OPTANE memory series MODULE = MEMPEK1W16GAH 16GB

How can I troubleshoot it, don't want to get a new one if this was is OKAY but just misconfigured?

Don't know if I may need additional Drivers but the HP website does not give more info, and the INTEL website is a little confusing to identify which is the correct type of Optane module that matches mine.

Again your answer was very ASSERTIVE and HELPFUL, which now opens a new series of possibilities to follow up on.

Please Help...

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not a Intel Optane fan. I recommend replacing the Intel drive with a 512 GB or 1 TB M.2 2280 NVME drive. Your MB should support a 2280 drive. HP does not specify this fact at this site (Link). The MB M.2 socket must support a 80 mm (length) drive to install a 2280 drive.

Install the operating system clean on this drive or clone the existing operating system on the platter HDD to this replacement drive. 

Check the Optane drive as follows: Set the BIOS to AHCI. Install the Optane drive in the M.2 socket. Enter the BIOS to verify this drive is detected. No detection suggests this drive has failed.

HP Part Surfer (Link) search results for a Intel Optane part are negative. You would have to check online sites like Newegg or Amazon for a replacement Optane drive if you want Optane.

You need the IRST RAID driver at this site (Link) to run an Optane setup.

HP Recommended

Yes, I thing a 512 GB or 1TB M.2 2280 Drive will be a better solution, How do I know if my hardware supports the Hard Drive in NVME mode which is faster or only in SATA mode ( is this a valid question or am I confused with the M.2 Drive formats?), of course I want to go the NVME way and which version of NVME 3.0 or 4.0 ?

Again, I read and read the specs and it is very confusing...(No Specs on the HP Web Site).

1) But I measured the Optane Module and it is the 80 mm so the 2080 should fit

2) The Connectors seams like a M Key + B Key because it has TWO indents on the connector.

- So does this mean I can use  B Key, M Key or B+M Key Modules?

- And if I can use M key, then I can go to a faster NVME SSD ?

* But I am confused between the NVME , PCI-E, SATA and mSATA Connector....

(are they interchangeable and compatible between them ?)

I found that Read/Write Speeds of SATA's are around 560 MBps,  and the NVME's have 1600 Mbps to 4000 Mps, which I don't think my hardware supports the full speed, but might be able to get the 1600 MBps. (Still much better than SATA).

Looking forward to Install a 500 GB NVME M.2 2080 SSD, does this work with my hardware?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your question is valid.

You can buy a Key M NVME PCIe 3.0 drive for this MB. This is a CPU/chipset limitation on the MB. You can also do a PCIe 4.0 drive on this MB but the MB will throttle to PCIe 3.0 speeds. A PCIe 4.0 version drive will run faster on a future PC upgrade having a MB that supports PCIe 4.0.

Possible vendors are: Samsung, HP, Adata, Team, Crucial, and Intel.

Make sure you change the BIOS to AHCI before you install the new drive. A operating system (OS) clone should also use ACHI. You could see a blue screen error if you clone a RAID (Optane) configured OS to a AHCI configured BIOS.

A clean OS install on the new drive should proceed as expected.

Regards

HP Recommended

Perfect !!!!

That worked Great ...(SOLVED)

Finally got my computer running with a M.2 NVMe 500GB Crucial SSD, the READ/WRITE specs of the SSD are 2400 MBps, don't know the actual speed it is working, but my computer feels much faster than with the OPTANE MEMORY (Better Performance) and now that the NVMe drive prices are more accessible the cost for the upgrade was not bad. 

And I could still have my SLOW second Hard Drive ( Standard SATA 5400rpm I thing the READ/WRITE speed for that is between 100 - 190 MBps) for just data storage.

Thank you for all your help, you gave me the opportunity to take educated decisions on the options I had to solve my issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can test the new drive read and write speeds using the following software.

CrystalDiskMark

Regards

HP Recommended

So it sounds like the only option is to reinstall on a new drive, sort of faking the system and then putting the original done back to use your original system? 

How do I install whatever version hp initially installed? I'm sure there is a backup position and other specifics that all need to match for this to work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.