Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBryga
Level 2
24 14 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Desktop restartes immediately after shutting down.

HP Recommended

Doesn't matter if I use the physical power button or the shutdown on the menu, it restarts immediately. 
m01-f0024 is less than 3 weeks old, and was behaving fine for a while but this has become consistent.

4 REPLIES 4
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 700
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

BIOS setting, Wake on Lan?  etc etc.

AutoRestart.png

The Auto-Restart could be disabled.

It does not solve the problem of whatever is causing it, like a dodgy driver, but may take away the annoyance.

Start in Safe Mode (F8) and if that shuts down cleanly then it would be a recent install I suspect that is suspect.

There is a shutdown command....

https://www.lifewire.com/shutdown-command-2618100

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
MBryga
Author
Level 2
24 14 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.
In general, sleep, hibernate, or shutdown all restarted - as did using the Shutdown command from a CMD prompt.
* I disabled wake-on-LAN, but no difference.

* I unchecked automatic restart, but no difference.

* Booting in Safe-Mode and shutting down stayed shut down - some progress.

I guess that leaves the dodgy driver (or a recent Win10 update as the suspected culprit)
Any further suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
MBryga
Author
Level 2
24 14 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System log is interesting  (in order over 20 seconds)
 4) Winlogon        7002   User Logoff Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program
 5) Kernel-Power 187    User-mode process attempted to change the system state by calling Set...State APIs.

6) Kernel-General 16   The access history in hive ... was cleared updating 0 keys and creating 0 modified pages.

7) Kernel-Power 42      The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Application API

8) Kernel-Power 107   The system has resumed from sleep.

13) Kernel-Boot    25    The boot menu policy was 0x1.

14) Kernel-Boot    27    The boot type was 0x1.  - I think this is hybrid boot (fast startup)!
20) Power-Troubleshooter 1  
The system has returned from a low power state. Sleep Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎22T06:42:19.368596000Z Wake Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎22T06:42:39.938680000Z Wake Source: Unknown

0 Kudos
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 700
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Daft idea, but AVG anti virus.

Some other app checking in with mother earth?

Some external polling of statistics?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation