Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 405 G1 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Could you please tell me what the of the shorting of Pin8 to Pin9 on the power block below is I only added it because it was what the factory cable looked like but I'm curious if you could explain to me why.?

(Yes, this is a shamless post to share information that took hours to find.)

Mind you realize these boards are manunfactured by MSI (Microstar)  based on the MS-7863 v1.1 board revision but I cannot find any documentation on this board on their site. 

These Jumper settings can be used to bypass bios generated "F1 to Boot" likely will work for the  Prodesk 400 Series as well. I have done this on my two  "HP ProDesk 405 G1" they behave normally as expected.

I have also included the pinout for the PB/LED (for the 405 G1).

ProdeskG1Pinout.jpg

Im now using this for PFSense  since the AMD-A45000 is a quad core 1.5ghz (passively cooled) and supports AES Adavanced instructions these are great little boards.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

>  Could you please tell me what the of the shorting of Pin8 to Pin9 on the power block below is

> I only added it because it was what the factory cable looked like but I'm curious if you could explain to me why.?

First, this is a "user-to-user" forum with volunteer contributors -- not an official path to contact HP Support.

Maybe, it was cheaper for MSI's board-design engineers to use a "standard" 2-by-4 block of pins, rather than to specify the use of a 2-by-3 block?

> These Jumper settings can be used to bypass BIOS generated "F1 to Boot"

The image states "error" -- most motherboards will only display that message when there is an "error" (such as a sensor is reporting that the case has been opened, or that the BIOS-battery has failed to maintain the date/time of the clock on the motherboard), not under "normal" situations.

HP Recommended

My post is for those using the board out of normal circumstances. I bought the motherboards on ebay my purpose is to use it for PFSense. I do not need the factory front panel nor the interal USB3s or the audio.

Basically not having the any of the USB headers or Audio Header connected results in the F1 to Boot prompt due to the board/bios having logic to detect their presence. Mind you the bios options to disable this tragically does not work. Another poster had inquired about this very issue with a 400 series Prodesk. That is why I have posted this for those that need to bypass these errors for any circumstances. 

HP Recommended

> Basically not having the any of the USB headers or Audio Header connected results in the F1 to Boot prompt due to the board/bios having logic to detect their presence.

Basically, if any of the USB devices currently are listed as "eligible" boot-devices, and you remove those devices from from the list, does that cause the BIOS to *NOT* generate the prompt?

Basically, I have never had any problems booting a computer (HP or non-HP) when no speakers are connected to the audio-out sockets.  Of course, Windows will complain, much later, when it detects the lack of speakers.

So, basically, there must be something else that is "missing" that is causing the BIOS to generate the prompt.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

1) I have disabled and enabled the devices in the bios it makes no difference.

2) There is also a specific setting in the bios to disable the halting messages however that feature does not work. The messages will persist even if you disable them. 

3) The issue is not that theres not a USB or not that theres not a speaker attached. The real issue is that the internal header block connectors for USB2, 3, and AUDIO have a presence sensor basically. Meaning that if you dont have the USB2, USB3 or Audio HD/AC97 block connectors attached to the motherboard it can tell they're not plugged in on the motherboard that is what causes the error. For others in a more normal scenario it could be  faulty front panel wires or one of the header cables was unseated somehow.

In my specific circumstance I'm intentionaly not plugging them in because Im using these motherboards to build appliance routers out of them. I dont actually own a HP Prodesk 405 G1 I bought the motherboards (two of them) on ebay.

The image i posted shows what pins to short to trick the motherboard into believing the devices are present when they are not. I found this forum becuase of someone having a similar issue and they didn't seem to get any answer. So for my own purposes figured out how to solve it and so I'm sharing that info to anyone else interested for any reason they may have.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that pic I've been looking for solution to error 918 front usb not connected and shorting pin 8 to 10 sorted this out cheers

HP Recommended

I wanted to post this solution so others didn't have to fight with this. I had a hard time with this too. I had bought this motherboard ( two of them actually) on ebay and I'm using it as a pfsense firewall. It's great because of the low power consumption and the number of cores etc.. So of course only having the motherboard I didn't have the front panel IO etc.. (nor do I need them for my purpose). It tooks some research and mucking about but I figured it out. I'm glad it helped. 

Happy Computing.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your info, its been a massive help as I bought one of thse boards to use as a media centre.

One question - what did you use to short the pins? thinking to think of a more permanent/elegant solution than just gluing wire.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Dude, user jumpers, like those one form old HDD to make primary or slave, or just take it from some old motherboards, they always have some. Only that usb 3.0 blue front panel need 7 to 10 short, that would need some flat 4 pin wide thing, or just 1 pin double side cable, which i got from network cable computer store.

For the orginal question, i solved the pwoer switch/power button absense, by luck i took one from other hp model(hp compaq dc5800 sff base unit) and it happend to fit perfectly with 2 diodas, and looks like there is no use for Pin8 and Pin9, the switch have only 6 cables, 2 x 2 for diodas, and 2 for power switch. So yeah, forget about it. And thank You once again You shared this! super helpful.

Also, do You have optimal configuration for voltage input for this motherboard?

I kno the official stats are 19v, 3.34 a yeah yeah, but every power supply got his own stats for every power line, i wonder whats optimal, i use some orginal hp 300w power supply from Ml 110 g5 and its not optimal, it draws 23 watt when this unit is OFF, and 61 watt on work with minimal cpu  and hdd load (its 15 tdp cpu amd a4-5000, just 8 gb ram one brick, and a hdd 1tb)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.