Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP COMPAQ 6300 SFF PRO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today when I pressed "ESC" to enter Setup my screen showed this:

imgimg

I want to install Linux.

Note: When I bought it I had inserted my old drive with linux at that also the same thing happened (a distorted hp logo).

1.Please Educate me what is this ,why it is happening.

2.Please educate me how to install linux.

Thanks in Advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ethan045627 

I'm sorry, but HP does not provide support for Linux distros.

IF you replace the preloaded Windows OS with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Can you borrow a different monitor from a friend, or from family, and connect it, instead of your monitor?

If you get a "normal" display, then it could be your monitor:

1. "dying"

2. not supporting the specific video-resolution being generated by your computer's video-card.

If the image is still "wrong", then it could be the video-card in your computer.

P.S. I have found that installing the  Linux UBUNTU 16 and UBUNTU 18 system is quite straight-forward, without any issues.

HP Recommended

@WAWood 

Actually Sir, I bought it second hand at the start of June and the shopkeeper installed Windows 10 (so it was not the one which comes with new pc).

I was using linux on my previous computer and I had files to recover so I inserted my old hard drive with linux and at that time it said "SECURE BOOT VIOLATION" after that the same thing occured with hp logo and with menu which appears after pressing esc key. 

Yes , after this linux worked and I was able to recover my files. But I am unable to understand why this happened , is it because of linux or hardware problem.

As you mentioned,

1."I'm sorry, but HP does not provide support for Linux distros."

ANS: Actually linux works fine ,the problem is the above image.

2."IF you replace the preloaded Windows OS with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS."

ANS: Its already second hand.

3."Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work."

ANS: One more reason to recover my linux files was my hard drive was dying. So I recovered my files then I inserted my Xubuntu flash drive and installed clean linux as . (as I want to replace it as it is in warranty)

Not to mention currently my WINDOWS is also working fine without any problem.

Please help me how and why is it happening.

HP Recommended

@itsmyname

Thanks Sir for replying,

As you mentioned,

1."Can you borrow a different monitor from a friend, or from family, and connect it, instead of your monitor?"

ANS: I will surely try it.

2."If you get a "normal" display, then it could be your monitor"

ANS: I bought it a month before buying this pc and it was showing everything fine in BIOS menu of previous pc.(Note: I will try 1st one)

3." I have found that installing the  Linux UBUNTU 16 and UBUNTU 18 system is quite straight-forward, without any issues."

ANS: (Extra Query) What if I want to install Linus distro which don't support secure boot? can I do it with disabling secure boot?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.