Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
unknown
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need a driver for the old pocket media drives.  The drivers had to exist, as Microsoft has an update for a driver if it's installed on the system.  And HP documentation even tells  you where to find  it on your HP Desktop.

Microsoft's community has not been  of any help.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello
Can you clarify your problem?
The reader is connected to what and how?
A hard disk drive is plug and play, therefore, there are no drivers to install, it must be recognized and installed from windows!
I found this doc but I don't know if it corresponds to your material

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01762112

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

Hello
Can you clarify your problem?
The reader is connected to what and how?
A hard disk drive is plug and play, therefore, there are no drivers to install, it must be recognized and installed from windows!
I found this doc but I don't know if it corresponds to your material

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01762112

I have one, just one, computer the drive will not connect to.  It is Windows 10.  The media drive even connects to my Mac.  The only thing I consider unique about the computer is it's a homebuilt from when Windows8  was introduced.  I have a standard USB A-B  peripheral cable I'm using for the connection..

You would think it would be 100% Plug and Play, but apparently there's something different,  HP even tells you where to find the software on your computer.  Pocket Media Drive  Of course, this assumes you have a Pocket Media Drive capable computer.

I learned there was a driver for it when MS installed an updated driver for it while the drive was plugged into a different computer.

In the MS community, a 5V  power problem  was suggested.  Agreed, it's possible.  That's been a problem with Mac keyboards.  But, the problem system has a powered USB hub connected, and the drive does not connect there, either.

My only option for the 5v question, short of taking the system to a shop, is to swap power supplies.  It's a desktop, and I've got a  power supply on a shelf.  I'm reluctant to do that,  as my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.

So, being an "out of the box" thinker, it occurred to me, if I could get the driver supplied way back when, or their latest driver, and  I manually installed it, it just might work.  <G>

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

I cannot answer the question - I think there is no "good answer", in fact.

I can fill in what I believe the customer might have.

In fact, I had at least a couple of these years ago - at least one of them might even still be around in a box somewhere.

HP Pocket Media Drive User's Guide

The drives were primarily meant for Windows 7 and before.

The guide shows how to format and use the drive - and mentions, too, that no external drivers are needed.

Does that mean the drive will work with our latest Windows 10?

No, it does not mean that.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

logically it is a hard drive, in a box
Therefore, it should be able to work without having to install any drivers, unless .. anyway, there is no driver available.
From what I understood, you are talking about the software that is provided, for backups, nothing to do!
What you should know
have you tested the different USB connectors, is it 2.0 .. 3.0 other?
When you connect the reader, is it disabled, not at all?
What do you find in the device manager, an error message can be?
It works under MAc, have you been able to test with windows 8 maybe?
the problem may be from windows 10 or from the computer.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

logically it is a hard drive, in a box

Indeed, it is.  The original drive failed, and I replaced it.

@Prométhée wrote:

Therefore, it should be able to work without having to install any drivers, unless .. anyway, there is no driver available.

If there was never a driver, how is MS able to install an updated driver?  There's a screenshot of a driver having been installed on one of my W10 systems in the MS Community thread I posted a link to earlier.

I just attached the drive to another W10 laptop, powered up, and sure enough, W10 installed a driver.

@Prométhée wrote:

From what I understood, you are talking about the software that is provided, for backups, nothing to do!

Nah,  the subject line and original post says it all, I'm looking for a driver, not any software that was included.  Between your posts and the  documentation,  I'm surmising HP provided some type of backup software.  I wouldn't be surprised at that, as the XP and Vista backup software from MS, IMO, isn't worth much.

@Prométhée wrote:

have you tested the different USB connectors, is it 2.0 .. 3.0 other?

The drive is 2.0  to the best of my knowledge.  Which is logical, as I know the  drive came from an HP desktop that came with Vista, and  been updated to W10.  HP is not perfect in using the correct colored "plastic" in their hardware for determining the USB speed.  Anyway, it doesn't connect to any USB port I've tried on this one computer.

@Prométhée wrote:

When you connect the reader, is it disabled, not at all?

Since it never connects, I guess you can call that disabled.  LOL

@Prométhée wrote:

What do you find in the device manager, an error message can be?

Since it doesn't connect, it doesn't get recognized and listed in Device Manager.

@Prométhée wrote:

It works under MAc, have you been able to test with windows 8 maybe?

Sadly, no for W8.  The computer has, or rather had, 2 bootable drives.  W8 and W10.  I've been testing different backup programs, and one of them screwed up the W8 drive.  Of course, the vendor told me they couldn't help.  I suspect the boot  flag got changed, but haven't taken the time to investigate.  After all, how many people are still using W8?  🙂

@Prométhée wrote:

the problem may be from windows 10 or from the computer.

Since, as far as MS is concerned, there is a driver for it, I'm pursuing the driver question, since that's a lot less work than swapping the power supply, and we all learn something.  🙂

HP Recommended

"When you connect the reader, is it disabled, not at all?"
for this, sorry, it's a translation error, that's not what i wanted to ask, and i didn't care
the question was whether when the hard drive is connected there is detection, and the installation process.

"If there was never a driver, how is MS able to install an updated driver?"
what I am saying is that the user does not need to install a driver, that there is no download from HP, because it is installed by windows
so, yes it is normal, if you have a more recent version of windows, the driver may have been modified by microsoft, but it is included in the system!

"There is a screenshot of a driver installed on one of my W10 systems in the MS Community thread that I posted a link to earlier."
yes, sorry, I prefer to have a live image rather than rereading a whole topic from another forum (question of time available)

"I just attached the drive to another W10 laptop, powered up, and sure enough, W10 installed a driver.
"
which confirms what I think, you have a problem with your computer!

and what you also specify:
Anyway, it doesn't connect to any USB port I've tried on this one computer.
Since it never connects, I guess you can call that disabled. LOL
Since it doesn't connect, it doesn't get recognized and listed in Device Manager.

Sorry if I can't make myself understood.
But if your device, is not detected by computer, you can not install drivers.
You can "force" the installation of the driver if the device is detected by the computer ...
I advise you to check your installation
Your hard drive works, with other devices, so the problem is either your computer directly, or the operating system that has a problem.
After sorry, but I'm doing my best to help you, when I should stop there ..
Your hard drive, originally was HP, although no longer too the case, anyway it is in working order
but the computer does not appear to be an HP at all!
And here it is a community, based on HP products, so if we are not in the presence of HP hardware, you should be asked to seek help elsewhere!
But for me, it's special, I want to try to continue what I started ...
One last question, although it wouldn't help much if it works!
can you try another external hard drive, which has the same type of connectors?

[edit]

There's a screenshot of a driver having been installed on one of my W10 systems in the MS Community thread I posted a link to earlier.

sorry I come back to this remark
Can you enlighten me, because I just reread the topic, but I can't find a Microsoft Community link here ??

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

which confirms what I think, you have a problem with your computer!

and what you also specify:

Sadly, I'm also leaning in this direction.  😞

@Prométhée wrote:

Your hard drive, originally was HP, although no longer too the case, anyway it is in working order
but the computer does not appear to be an HP at all!

Correct, it is not an HP computer.

@Prométhée wrote:

And here it is a community, based on HP products, so if we are not in the presence of HP hardware, you should be asked to seek help elsewhere!

But, the pocket media drive is an HP product.  🙂

@Prométhée wrote:

can you try another external hard drive, which has the same type of connectors?

No, I'm sorry, all the other external drives I own with this type of connection are powered drives.  This drive was given to me.

@Prométhée wrote:

There's a screenshot of a driver having been installed on one of my W10 systems in the MS Community thread I posted a link to earlier.

sorry I come back to this remark
Can you enlighten me, because I just reread the topic, but I can't find a Microsoft Community link here ??

The link is in my first reply to you, second paragraph. 

This is my third attempt to get the system to po

HP Recommended

I can only advise you to check your installation, the hard drive seems to work, but it is not detected by your computer

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

I can only advise you to check your installation, the hard drive seems to work, but it is not detected by your computer

At this point, I'd say the odds are there's a problem with the 5v power from the power supply.   And, at this point in time, I don't have the time to disassemble the system and insert a new power supply.  😞

And just for an FYi, I'm setting up another Lenovo mini computer, and W10 installed the storage driver.  🙂

I'm planning on using this drive as a backup drive for one of the mini computers.  The physical size is great, and the price was right...  Free to me.  LOL

Enjoy your weekend.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.