Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Dv7-3165dx Laptop turns off unexpectedly when battery is low. Even at 17%.

This is getting really annoying I keep losing work! Before it used to give me a warning and then hibernate. Now there is no warning and it turns off without saving anything.

Help!

The laptop is only one year old.

I already ran the battery diagonsitic and it said the battery was good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok I think I finally figured it out by changing the power options and I think the way you told me to reset the battery also helped.

here are the settings:

reserve battery level (this is when the popup will come up.)

10%

low battery level (this is when the low battery action will be performed.)

8%

critical battery level (my comp would die at this point.)

7%

low battery action: sleep, sleep (customize this to your liking.)

low battery notification: on,on (keep this on.)

critical battery action: sleep, sleep (my comp would die already at critical.)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is the desktop forum and this post should be on the laptop forum.

However, go into the Control Panel --->Power options and then click on Change Plan Settings. That will then bring up a window then you can click on Change Advanced  Power Settings. Once that window opens then scroll down and click on +Battery.  Now review the settings for Critical Battery Level, Low Battery Level and thenthe Low Battery Action and the Critical Battery Action. Also review the Low Battery Notification.

If you liked the original values then perhaps try the Restore the default settings for the plan on the very first Power options screen.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

whoops I just saw freezes and posted thinking it was the laptop forum.

I adjusted the low battery percentage to 9% and critical to 7%

I have been testing it today and it has shut off without saving once, and the second time it did hibernate but without a popup warning. i will keep testing

HP Recommended

Hi,

You might be playing with fire using those low percentages.  Perhaps you might want to consider keeping higher values and then carry a spare fully charge battery.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

welp it just shut off again without saving.

HP Recommended

if I get a new battery would that solve the problem?

how safe is it to get  a third party battery?

the hp pricing is ridiculous $100 for a battery.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Hold down the power button for 60 seconds. Replace the battery and boot up. Now go into the Contol Panel ---> Power options and reset your plan settings, save and reboot.

If the problem still occurs then review the messages in the Event Viewer about the time your laptop shuts down.

HP Recommended

Followed your steps

at 12% the battery icon changed to caution symbol

at 9% it gave me the pop up

a few min later it once again shut off without saving.

i checked if the hibernation worked and when I made it hibernate itself it worked fine.

HP Recommended

Ok I think I finally figured it out by changing the power options and I think the way you told me to reset the battery also helped.

here are the settings:

reserve battery level (this is when the popup will come up.)

10%

low battery level (this is when the low battery action will be performed.)

8%

critical battery level (my comp would die at this point.)

7%

low battery action: sleep, sleep (customize this to your liking.)

low battery notification: on,on (keep this on.)

critical battery action: sleep, sleep (my comp would die already at critical.)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Check to see if you have any "offline and background" tasks runing that will prevent the system from going into hibernation mode.

What exactly do you mean by "not saving"?   What is not being saved?

If you are using MS Word then go into Word options ---> advanced and make sure background saves is checked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.