Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 600-1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I power up my computer and i recieve the message "ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed. PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service PC immediately to prevent damage to CPU" and the computer shouts down.

When i check both the fans are working.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Ed_L_P, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting an error: CPU Fan Has Failed on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Try restoring the BIOS to default on your PC and check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

Refer this article to know more information about CPU Fan Failed errors.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Mr Robot,

I power on the computer, press F10 and/or Control-F10. The screen indicates it is “Entering Setup” then several seconds later Screen shows “ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed. PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service PC immediately to prevent damage to CPU...” and then machine powers down without ever going into Setup.

I understand the Setup Procedures, but cannot get to them.

Please Help,

Ed Potthoff

HP Recommended

@Ed_L_P, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned when you try to enter BIOS setup on your PC, you are getting CPU fan has failed.

It certainly looks to be a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP Support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have taken the computer apart as recommended. The CPU fan is working.  I cleaned the fan and the computer case. The fan was still working when I put it together.

I made no software or firmware changes. Do you still think it's a hardware problem?

thanks,

Ed

HP Recommended

@Ed_L_P, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the CPU fan is working.

It looks like it could be the heatsink or the thermal paste which could have dried up and causing the issue.

So it's better you get your laptop service before it can incur more damage.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click Accept as Solutionif you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say Thanksfor helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

>>> "ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed"

That's very clear as to the nature of the problem.

> I cleaned the fan and the computer case.

Did you clean the "radiator" between the fan and the CPU (mounted on the motherboard) ?

> The CPU fan is working.

You mean that when you turn the computer on, while watching the fan, that the fan is spinning ?

The fan has THREE wires that connect to a place on the motherboard.

Check that the connector is firmly seated onto that place.

(This may be difficult to check on your All-In-One desktop computer.  If so, skip it.)

Two of the three wires give voltage to the electric motor in the fan, to make it spin.

The third wire gives "feedback" to the motherboard, namely the RPM of the fan,

and the motherboard controls the RPM of the fan.

If the electronic "controls" on the fan has failed, it may be giving INCORRECT or NO feedback to the motherboard.

Therefore, the motherboard reports a "failure".

Replace the fan.

(If it were a "full" desktop computer, it would be around $10.  Given that it is an All-In-One, you'll pay more.)

Easiest way is to take your computer to a computer store, so that they can remove the fan, sell you a compatible one, and test the new fan, to prove that the error-message is no longer being produced.

The suggestion about "heat paste" is off-the-mark.  Ignore it. The construction is:

fan <--> radiator <--> heat-paste <--> CPU <--> motherboard.

Even if you temporarily removed the fan, you did not touch/affect the heat-paste.

(Sometimes, the "radiator" is called a "heat-sink".  Same thing -- it conducts heat away from the CPU, to where the fan can blow cool air at it.) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.