Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

BIOS update to 2.31, restarted as asked, input BIOS password... did it's thing, no power loss. After it updated and rebooted again on it's own the machine seems bricked, the only thing that happens is the fan goes to max after a few minutes on. Please advise. A "backup" was created when asked in windows prior to update.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Try turning the machine off. Hold the windows key on the kb and the B key. Turn the PC on and wait for 45-60 secs, it should hopefully start beeping then launch into BIOS recovery.

If it does nothing, try the above again, but keep tapping B while holding WIN key

HP Recommended

First, thank you for your help.

I tried as you asked but the machine simply doesn't even recognize a keyboard, no vga output, nothing. Seems this one is bricked, let warranty handle it. Followed same procedure as I had on the previous 7 machines as I am placing 10 of them in production, seems this one might have a bad bios chip or something happened during the flash that it didn't like.

I simply don't understand why HP makes a 5GB partition on my SSD which seems pointless because the rest of the recovery method is missing. I'm guessing it might (big maybe here as vga doesn't display anything either) read a PS2 KB, but I don't have one nor an adapter, perhaps one should be included in the PC kit.

Again, thank you.

HP Recommended

It's (unfortunately) not unheard of for the BIOS update to brick the machine when it's run through the HP Support Assistant. I've had this happen to me. But the BIOS recovery trick did work.

You won't get anything on the screen, just beeps. I would also recommend a WIRED keyboard instead of a Wireless one. Have a look at this document and see if it helps:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04126730

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.