Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer is locking up occasionally with high speed fan. Force shutdown and it will sometimes start up with a normal power on. Other times I need to remove RAM, reinsert and it will power up fine. So I began to examine replacing RAM as an option. But when I go through system checks it reports all RAM as okay, so I am not sure if the RAM or motherboard are to blame.

But in the process of researching, I noticed that the specs on the machine say there are 4 DIMM slots. I can only find two. When I remove both DIMMs I see 4GB of RAM. With both DIMMs installed I have 20GB of RAM. With one DIMM it is 12 GB of RAM.

Now to the questions. Are there RAM slots hidden somewhere on the motherboard beyond my bifocal viewing range?:Glasses: It is a Pegatron. Computer SKU is E3W48AV#ABA.

Is there a way to test the RAM and/or motherboard to determine the cause of the lockup issue?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

Dunno.   Does it look like this?  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03605561

Pittsburgh2 motherboard top view

HP Recommended

IMG_2225.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

I can't see the picture you posted.

But to get 20 GB of memory that is probably 2 x 8 GB and also 2 x 2GB.

Equally the 12 GB is 1 x 8 GB and still 2x 2GB in the first pair of slots.

HP Recommended

The board doesn't look like your diagram. I only have two slots visible. Will try posting the image again. This is upside down.IMG_2225.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes it does seem to match. 

So you have added 16 gig of RAM that may not match the existing 4 gig installed, either by speed or voltage.

This a bit of your piccy.  Try a vanity/dental mirror to view hidden corners.

The blue  bit is your MEM Slot.

HP Recommended

I see the additional slots hidden by the big red cooling fan. Thanks. 

Any ideas on how to zero in on cause of lockups?

HP Recommended

FYI all of the RAM is factory installed and the issue just started a few days ago. The computer is 2+ yrs old.

HP Recommended

Hi

Nope.

I would gather information first.

Piriform Speccy and MemTest/MEMTest 86.

Then if a module is out of sync.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.