Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All in One PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi

I had a power surge, and when the computer restarted, it says Error No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

I tried following tutorials on YouTube and other sites, but nothing works.

Any help on how I can get this fixed?15420587076841891897090744649757.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

What is the full model number? Can you get into the BIOS? Tap esc or F2 and see if you can get in there and if the system sees a hard drive present. The power surge might have damaged the hard drive in which case it might need to be replaced in which case we need to track down the correct documentation for your specific model. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

The model is 22-b016.

My 8yr old, who is smarter than me in these things, got into the BIOS setup.  But from there, dont know what to do.

HP Recommended

15420601908918345805567707948560.jpg

Also did a quick test, and it passed

HP Recommended

Then the power surge just messed up the boot sector of the hard drive; erased some software and you are going to need to reinstall Windows. Did you have Windows 10 on it? Do you by any chance have a backup? Just askin'

HP Recommended

I did not have a backup, and yes, I did have Windows 10.

I went on the HP website and typed in the serial number.  It gave ne options of updates and drivers to download, but no option for the OS.

HP Recommended

Yes you do not download it from HP but from Microsoft. Go to the Media Creation Tool site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Pick the create installation media link. Best to do a thumb drive (8 gigs minimum size) and after you get basic Windows installed you go back to HP for drivers and apps. You might be able to do what is called a repair install and keep your files which are still probably on the hard drive. 

Let us know if there are more questions. 

HP Recommended

Ok, so I downloaded the Windows 10 32bit onto a thumb drive and attempted to repair.  I then got this error:

20181113_204101.jpg

I then attempted a new install and got this error:

20181113_204413.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Why 32 bit? Also please let us see the screen with the disk partitions showing so we can see which partition you are trying to install Windows onto. 

HP Recommended

I chose 32bit because that is what the specs said on the HP site for this model computer.

See the below image for the partitions.  I also created a new partition and attempted to install but I got the same error message.

20181114_084135.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.