Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Yesterday, I was updating my machine per the HP support site. It is an Envy Pheonix 860-180st. I downloaded and ran the BIOS updater (sp85454). The updater erased the BIOS, started to verify the erasure and then hung. (I took a picture while I waited since I knew this was not good, it is attached). The keyboard and mouse did not respond, and no other activity seemed to be happening. I waited 15 minutes, but eventually hit the power button. The power button did not respond either. So I turned it off at the power strip. Now the machine will not post. No signs of power. No beeps, no fans, no HDD spin up. What I've tried:

• Another wall outlet (of course the PSU has a green light to let me know it is getting power, but I tried anyway)
  • Removed all devices one at a time (video card, drives, RAM) and tried to power after each removal
  • Remove the CMOS battery, let sit for an hour (and then again over night)
  • New CMOS battery

Can I reflash the BIOS at this point, or am I looking at a new MB?

Thanks,

Nels.20190317_171913.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ndachel
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your computer. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Also, you can try performing a system factory reset: This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data. Click here to run a factory reset.
Please click Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Factory reset is not a solution since the machine will not post. A factory reset requires a working BIOS.

Nels.

HP Recommended

@ndachel

You can perform a factory reset using HP recovery media or you can also try booting system into F11 recovery manager and try initiating recovery. However, if boot MGR is not corrupted, then recovery is possible in this case. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Exactly same happened to me in the same type of machine today. Were you able to solve the problem? Machine does not power on and suggestions here are for powering machine.

Thank you,

Hakan.

HP Recommended

Hi Hakan,

I was only able to solve the problem by buying a replacement motherboard. The replacement board had a working BIOS, I swapped all of the components, and it booted properly with no data loss. I was never able to get any help regarding reflashing the missing BIOS. If you are looking on the internet for a replacement board, I did not have much luck using the board number, but by searching for "Pegatron Thimphu". I was able to get one for $160 USD. The swap is pretty easy, just label your cables!

Good luck!

Nels.

HP Recommended

Dear Nels,

Thank you for returning me the next day,

I was searching internet to find a solution without changing the motherboard.

Is it possible when you find time could you tell me for 860-180st desktop the bios version and rom family SSID numbers?

Clearly when I checked from your screen shot picture, manufacturer for our bios showing the wrong company with "SPI Vendor MXiC Macronix".  It should be Winbond. It was not for our bios and guessing it halted.

Thanks,

Hakan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.