Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion protectsmart

Failure ID 6E3WTL-7AV98B-MFPV6K-60VJ03, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

First of all, the drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling Windows 10 on the new drive, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Concerning the data on the failing drive, one option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code is a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If you would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the current version of Windows that's installed on the machine ( ie Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information and It would be great if you could tell me how to replace hard drive.  The PC came with Windows  8 but I had install windows 10.   Will i need to purchas a disc of windows to install on the new hard drive?
Is there any way to get the information off the hard drive that is failing?

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

First of all, the drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling Windows 10 on the new drive, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Concerning the data on the failing drive, one option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you ssoooo much.

Have a great day,

HP Recommended

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.