Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I am not much of a supporter of prebuilt PCs as I always like to build systems but I have started to get into flipping computer/computer parts and upgrading prebuilts is one of the best ways to make a profit. So what I did was use an old 2011 HP Pavilion (p7-1287c) that uses Sandy Bridge 2nd Gen CPU and upgrade its PSU and GPU. PSU was good and the GPU was a GTX 950 that worked fine in my system but once I tried booting with the 950 in the HP, I was stuck as the splash screen with a beep code. I tried troubleshooting and did some digging and came to the conclusion that it must be a firmware issue. Is the GTX 950 firmware not compatible with the older H61 HP board (Carmel2) or is HP deliberately preventing GPU from working. Is there any generation of cards that would work? Maybe if it's the same age, firmware would work together? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem you are facing is that the PC has a BIOS which maxes out at revision 7.16.

In order to run a Nvidia GT 7xx or higher, the PC's BIOS must have a revision 8.xx or higher.

In that PC, the best Nvidia card series you can install would be the GT(X) 6xx, or AMD HD6xxx.

HP Recommended

So if I was to install, let's say a GTX 660, there should be no firmware or BIOS issue? It isn't HP locking it down just the BIOS limiting the compatibility? I just want to be thorough to make sure. Also, just out of curiosity, could you explain as to why the 7 series and newer don't work. I heard it has something to do with "UEFI" and "Legacy"

HP Recommended

Yes, as long as the P/S supports the power draw, the GTX 660 should work fine.

Yes, it has something to do with UEFI and Legacy BIOS', as to why the newer video cards don't work in PC's with older BIOS chips.  Why, I don't know.

I have an HP 8200 Elite business desktop with an Intel Q67 chipset,  i7-2600 processor, and the Nvidia GT 1030 I have in mine works just fine, because my PC has a UEFI BIOS.

HP isn't locking down anything.  It's just due to old hardware with an outdated BIOS that the GTX 960 won't work.

Do you have any older PCIe x16 video cards you can toss in there to see that one works?

I always have some old cards to plug in to test.

HP Recommended

hi

you can see this :

IPISB-CU (Carmel2)

• Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD integrated graphics
  • GeForce 405 (512 MB)
  • GeForce GT 520 (1 GB)
  • GeForce GT 530 (2 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6450 (512 MB)
  • Radeon HD 6450 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7350 (512 MB)
  • Radeon HD 7450 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/document/c0318495...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/product-info

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

That might be it. But that PC is a different model than the one I am using. 

HP Recommended

It is the motherboard that we must look at, unless I am mistaken it is the same model, there are other examples in the list

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Well I actually just downloaded HWInfo64 to be sure and it says I have BIOS version 7.17, UEFI Boot is present, Secure Boot is not present, and MOBO is capable of UEFI Bios. I am getting confused with all this. Also, HWInfo says my Motherboard Model is something called "PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AC2", which seems to be Chinese. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.