Level 2
11 9 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Grub menu does not always appear in dual boot system

Pavillion 570-P060ND
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a dual-boot system (Windows10+Ubuntu18.04). Sometimes I get the prompt >grub instead of the grub menu. When I enter the command "exit", the grub menu shows, and I can choose either Windows10 or Ubuntu. In other cases I do get the grub menu immediately. How can I get the grub menu ALWAYS at startup?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
7,680 7,645 324 681
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Don't know.

I have 5 boot managers, and sometimes a Windows update gives W10 priority, sometimes a Lubuntu update makes it's boot manager number one.  Maybe the HDD is failing, or just failing to find the loader.  Grub is flaky IMHO.

F5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.F5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.

A Nod Is As Good As a Wink...
Lil_Boy_Blue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,589 22,532 2,061 4,925
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Parbo

For issues with GRUB and Ubuntu, you would really do better checking the Ubuntu Forums:  http://ubuntuforums.org/

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
11 9 1 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Boyblue: Your screendump (Thanks!) is what I see when I press Control+Alt+Del followed by repeatedly pressing Esc. This is the difficult way of getting the UEFI startup screen. I only found out recently that typing "exit" at the >grub prompt is much easier. But the best thing would be to ALWAYS get the grub menu at startup.

You are right in saying that sometimes the system cannot find the boot files, but I cannot explain why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
11 9 1 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WAWood. In a way, you are right. Ask Ubuntu often gives the right answers. The reason why I chose HP community this time is because some of the solutions are HP related, e.g. the way to get into the BIOS. Thanks for your tip.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation