Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 100B
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello!

An HP 100B was given to me, however, I cannot get past the "Power On Password", in spite of removing the battery and jumpers. Is there any way to reset this password or do i have to toss this PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Take a look at the last image you posted for me.

I would move the jumper on the header from its current position to the  second set  from the top to see if it clears the password.

Give it an arbitrary amount of time, say 5-10 seconds, return it to the original position and then check to see if that cleared the password.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Remove the RTC battery.  Once it has been disconnected,  press and hold the power button for 20 seconds or longer.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, erico. Unfortunately, this did not remove the power on password. It beeped, but demanded the password nonetheless.

HP Recommended

If you PC has the following motherboard (Caipirona), Removing the password will require motherboard removal and shorting  soldering points.

See the following HP document

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01815036

How to remove and replace the motherboard

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02695457

HP Recommended

erico, that doesn't appear to be the motherbaord I'm dealing with. Below is a photo of the motherboard of the HP 100B I have.

motherboard.jpg

HP Recommended

Have you removed the soDIMM memory module(s) to see if the solder joints are visible underneath?

Why are the part number tags fuzzed out?

If I could read them it would be helpful in identifying the motherboard.

Can you find the part number of the motherboard?

Compaq Presario AIO CQ1 G1 E-350 Amd Motherboard 627770-001   is your motherboard part number

The following link is for the Maintenence & Service Guide

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03382853-1.pdf

Unfortunately there is no description of how to reset the password or how to clear CMOS

I can ask my internal HP contacts about this .

HP Recommended

erico, thank you for your continued efforts. I really appreciate it.

Here is a better photo of the motherboard with the text visible and the RAM removed:

motherboard2.JPG

HP Recommended

I am waiting for a reply from my HP contacts on this.  As it is Sunday, please be patient.

HP Recommended

Any word yet?

HP Recommended

Yes!  Sorry to repond so late. I have been unavailable for the past two days.

Take a close look at your motherboard to see if the following headers are present.  If they are, then please follow the instructions below very closely.

To increase the image size,  just hold down the Ctrl key and tap the + key or scroll with the mouse wheel on a desktop.

Courtesy of HP Community Manager @Bill_F

The followng section on your motherboard appear to be possibilities. Please take photos and zoom in on the designated sections.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.