cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
KevinMcA
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP 290 G1 SFF won't boot after BIOS update

HP Recommended
HP 290 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon,

I'm having difficulties with my HP290 G1 SSF PC, where the PC isn't starting after a BIOS Update. Please may I ask...

1) I understand I can perform a BIOS 'restore'. I've visited https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-290-g1-small-form-factor-pc/21761568 and I can see 2 BIOS options. How do I tell if I have 'ROM Family SSID 843F' or 'ROM Family SSID 8440'? I'm concerned I could do permanent damage if I choose the wrong one.

2) This happened after I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro...after a restart (possibly as part of windows updates), the BIOS update screen was displayed. I opted to update to the latest, but after the BIOS update concluded, it was just a blank screen, and has been pretty much ever since. Using the power button / Win+B key command, I've managed to get the BIOS Update back again, but only once (and after it concluded, I still couldn't boot). All subsequent attempts don't result in anything being displayed...just a blank screen. A couple of times I've managed to get the 8 beeps, but again, nothing on screen. Are there any other options available to me??

3 If I can't recover the BIOS, do I have any other options? The only thing I can think of is to replace the motherboard...is that a possibility, and are there any better options before I get to that point?

I'd be very grateful for any help that could be offered.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 REPLY 1
KevinMcA
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: Resolved

For any others that have similar issues, if you can, try plugging your PC into a VGA monitor (assuming you're using HDMI output in the first place). Although I did see the BIOS recovery screen once on my HDMI monitor, when I double-checked that the display wasn't the problem, by using an old VGA monitor, it turned out that the display was the problem, because straight away I saw the BIOS recovery screen and from then I was able to complete the recovery.

I suspected my PC wasn't totally dead as I would get occasional 8 beeps (or alternate lots of 2 loud, 2 quite beeps after performing the CTRL+B action on start-up), which indicated to me that the thing was alive - the beep patterns I believe indicating that this was a BIOS issue.

Just in case this is of any help to anyone.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation