Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 300-1120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a desktop HP Touchsmart 300-1120.  This morning, I pressed the power button, and it lit up but did not turn on.  There were no beeps and no boot and no display.  The fans turned on and ran loudly.  I pressed the power button to turn it off.  I turned it on again, but this time the power light did not come on.  The fans did, though.  I let it rest and tried it again two more times with the same result.  When I plug in the cord in the back, that green power button comes on.  No other light comes on.  When I press the power button to turn it off, the cd drive flashes.

Thank you    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings tedeshi7,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Based on the age of your PC (2009) you have two possible points of failure:

1. The external power supply, (replacing the external power brick may fix the problem)

2. An integrated or attached MB component. Integrated component failure means you would have to replace the MB. Attached components could be looked at by removing, reseating , or replacing the RAM if indicated. A bad HDD or corrupted boot sector on the HDD would give you a "no boot device error" so it unlikely this is the problem. Bad or no  RAM may sometimes yield error messages at boot.

Remove the RAM and then remove the HDD to see if you get any POST error messages. No error messages mean  you may be looking at a possible bad power supply or a bad Motherboard.

Replace the MB CR2032 watch battery while you are troubleshooting the problem.

The prognosis is not very good.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings tedeshi7,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Based on the age of your PC (2009) you have two possible points of failure:

1. The external power supply, (replacing the external power brick may fix the problem)

2. An integrated or attached MB component. Integrated component failure means you would have to replace the MB. Attached components could be looked at by removing, reseating , or replacing the RAM if indicated. A bad HDD or corrupted boot sector on the HDD would give you a "no boot device error" so it unlikely this is the problem. Bad or no  RAM may sometimes yield error messages at boot.

Remove the RAM and then remove the HDD to see if you get any POST error messages. No error messages mean  you may be looking at a possible bad power supply or a bad Motherboard.

Replace the MB CR2032 watch battery while you are troubleshooting the problem.

The prognosis is not very good.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks  for the response.  I removed the HDD, but there were no beeps - just the fans.  I also removed the Ram.  Still, no response.  The power brick is fine, so it is the Motherboard.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.