Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am trying to update my old BIOS V. 2.15 2011.  I found here 2 newer versions V. 2.99 sp73099.exe and V. 3.08 sp95971.exe.  I understand that I have to install first the V. 2.99 first and then V. 3.08. 

I ran both version and they created 2 folders SP73099 and SP95971 with their associated files.  At this point I am not sure how to proceed.  I copied all the files from the SP73099 folder to a USB flash drive and ran the BIOS Setup after hitting F10 during the boot.  I selected  "Flash System Rom" and I get "Files missing or damaged", what am I doing wrong?  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The files you found are for the 8300 Elite SFF.

They won't work on the 8200 Elite SFF.

That is why you are getting the error.

If you have not installed W10 in EFI mode, do not update the BIOS beyond version 2.28 or the PC will take well over two minutes to restart from a warm boot unless you hide the TPM device.

You can find the available BIOS updates under the W7 driver section of the support page.

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

v02.33 is the newest update if you installed W10 in EFI mode.

Here is the link to v02.28...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71294.exe

For the 8200 Elite model series, there is only one BIOS update file you need to update the BIOS, not two like the 8300 elite.

Use the same process as you did above...

Copy the files from the DOS flash folder to your FAT 32-formatted USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul and thanks for the quick response.  I got it, the BIOS I found are for the wrong PCs.  I need v2.33 or v2.28

My PC is very old and it has BIOS v2.15.  How do I know if my Win10 was installed in EFI mode? If it wasn't, how do I change it to EFI mode?  As I understand it, the new Windows 11 has to run in UEFI mode which I assume it is the same as EFI.

Just to make it clear, do I copy the entire fold (SP96026 v2.33 or SP71294 v2.28) to my USB flash or just the files inside these folders?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC won't be able to run W11 even if you change your PC to run in EFI mode.

It does not have an Intel 8th gen core processor (that is the current requirement to run W11).

It does not have a TPM 2.0 device.  The one in the 8200 Elite is 1.2.

So, you can have the PC run in EFI mode two ways...

BIOS files.

You run the exe file.

An info page will open.

Follow the instructions under the F10 setup BIOS flashing method.

At the bottom of that section is a link to click on...View contents of DOS Flash Folder.

You want to copy the files inside that folder to your USB flash drive, which you have to format with the FAT32 file system.

1. You would have to boot a W10 installation flash drive from one of the EFI boot sources listed in the F9 boot options menu (EFI USB or EFI DVD).

2. Or you can convert the drive from MBR to GPT, and the PC should boot up in UEFI mode.

How to Convert Legacy to UEFI without Data Loss in Windows 10/8/7 - Chrunos

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.  I will try to use the 2.28 Bios and hopefully that will solve some of my problems I have with my video cards. 

In case something goes wrong, how do I restore my Bios to my original v.2.15?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Once you upgrade to v02.28 or newer you cannot go back.

What issues are you having with the graphics?

I have a Nvidia GT 1030 running just fine in my HP 8200 Elite CMT running W10 Pro 21H1 and it is on BIOS version 2.28.

The BIOS is in legacy mode, and I just made a system image backup using Macrium Reflect and I am going to see if I can use the free EaseUS partition software to convert the drive to GPT so the PC will run in UEFI mode.

4 Ways| Convert MBR to GPT Without Losing Data in Windows 10 – EaseUS

HP Recommended

Is there a way to somehow backup my original 2.15 Bios or can I download a somewhere a copy of of v. 2.15? 

I have some very strange problems with my video cards and I am hoping that the updated Bios may fix them. 

1) Currently I am using an HD6350 a Dual VGA card and it works fine.

2) I cannot get the builtin Display Port to work (no other video card plugged) and yes, I enabled in the Bios setup.

3) If I leave the HD6350 plugged in and I enable the Display Port, reboot the PC then the Display Port works fine. 

If I remove the HD6350 the Dispaly Port stops working.

4) I have also an HD 6450 card and as soon as windows displays my desktop the PC shuts down.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have never tried to actually use the display port with the onboard Intel graphics adapter enabled.

It shows up in the device manager along with the GT 1030, but I haven't tested it.

I may do that one day and see what happens.

Are you giving the PC enough time to recognize the HD 6450?

It did the same thing to me when I installed the GT 1030, and I also tested out an AMD R7-450.

You put the card in, the PC boots up and then a few seconds later it shuts down.

After about 30 seconds or so, it starts up and everything is fine.

Never had anything like that happen to me on any other PC, but my 8200 Elite.

BIOS backup.  Unfortunately, I cannot help you with that, since I have never looked into it.

Here is the file for v2.15 though.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55306.exe

Once again...if you update the BIOS to v2.28 or newer you can't go back to 2.15.

Here is a copy and paste of all the release notes for each BIOS update...

Version: 00.02.33 Rev.A

Fixed in this release:  Provides latest Intel Microcode versions 0x2F for Sandy Bridge processors.
NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

Version: 00.02.32 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Provides latest Intel Microcode versions 0x2E for Sandy Bridge processors.
NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

Version: 00.02.31 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Provides latest Intel Microcode version 0x2D for Sandy Bridge processors.
- Adds a new BIOS Setup policy to allow the Power On Password prompt when Wake On LAN is enabled.

NOTE: This new setting will be enable by default, and will prompt for the Power On Password during a Wake on LAN event.

Version: 02.29 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed BiosConfigUtility in setting Legacy and UEFI Boot Sources.
- Fixed BiosConfigUtility Enable/Disable of discrete devices, which were being re-enabled on next boot. - Implemented Roll Back prevention.
- Added improved Security Updates.

*** ALERT ***

This release improved Security Updates implementation. HP strongly recommends promptly
transitioning to this BIOS version. Due to security changes, after this BIOS
update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled.

Version: v02.28 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Improved UEFI Variables Security Updates. HP highly recommends updating to this version.

ALERT: This BIOS includes critical updates. Once the system is updated to this
version, rollback to previous versions is restricted. This restriction
also applies to BIOS recovery files.

Version: v02.27 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Flash Back Restrictions to previous BIOS versions.

ALERT: This BIOS includes critical updates. Once the system is updated to this
version, rollback to previous versions is restricted. This restriction
also applies to BIOS recovery files. You should also update the binary
used for recovery on your hard drive, if it is present.

- Added UEFI Security support.

Version: 2.25 Rev.D

Fixed in this release: - Add Intel RAID Ctrl+I enable/disable control feature in BIOS.

Version: 2.24 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Added fix to improve integrity of ROM Legacy Boot Ordervariables.
- Added fix to allow encryption software to access mouse properlyduring POST.
- Added fix to allow certain USB 3.0 flash drives to be set asbootable devices.
- Fixed issue with "Non System Disk Error" when executing a coldboot with a RAID configuration with a Drivelock password.
- Added fix to prevent external USB HDDs larger than 2.2TB fromcausing boot errors during boot into Windows.
- Added ability to "Unconfigure AMT/ME" as an action in F10menu.

Version: 2.23 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed issue with no HP logo after password prompt
- Fixed issue with F10 replicated setup not restoring disabled setting for EFI boot devices
- Fixed issue wih PCI Reborn NIC hanging the system when placed in the boot order
- Updated USB code to improve reliability of non-optimal USB devices
- Provided support for Wake-On-LAN booting into GPT-partitioned drives
- Fixed format issues with F10 set Time/Date
- Fixed Browse mode so that system configuration such as IRQs, port settings, etc cannot be accessed via Browse mode.
- Fixed password challenge box to accept up to 98 characters.
- Fixed issue with front USB ports not being able to be configured via BCU.
- Fixed issue with POST messages option not being set via repsetup and F10 replicated setup.
- Fixed issue with Force PXE boot and enabling bypass AMT password option when using System Center Configuration Manager
- Copyright updated
- Optimize memory settings to improve the reliability of the memory system

Version: 2.21 Rev. A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed an issue that caused USB mouse input to kill the keyboard during POST or DOS.
- Fixed an issue with the F10 Setup user interface for Boot Order, where making more than one change at a time could cause other unexpected boot order changes.
- Corrected a problem with restoring a saved Master Boot Record (MBR) backup image when a Setup password is set.
- Restored the F10 Setup / Advanced / AMT Configuration menu which can disappear when the system is updated from BIOS v2.09 to v2.15.

- Disabled Wake-on-LAN function as expected when the F10 Setup option 'S5 Maximum Power Savings' is Enabled, even if the Power Savings mode is overridden by the AMT policy 'On in S0, ME Wake in S4, S4-5'.
- Allow systems with blank Universally Unique Identifiers (UUIDs) to autogenerate an appropriate value.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with an LSI Logic PCI Express RAID card, where the card's option ROM was unable to load.
- Fixed an issue where options in the ESC (Startup) Menu are not suppressed if the associated feature is disabled.
- Fixed an issue where removing the Smart Cover sensor from the unit when active would cause display issues with the F10 Setup Smart Cover menu.
- Corrected Windows Management Interface (WMI) reporting of Smart Cover status.
- Fixed an issue where WMI commands fail to parse white spaces in the password preamble.
- Fixed WMI BIOS Configuration response to return failing error code if password is incorrect.
- Corrected the System Management BIOS type 1 data field for 'Wakeup Type' to properly display 'Remote' when the system is powered on by a Wake-on-LAN event.
- Changed the default setting of Lock Legacy Resources to Disabled.
- Changed Asset Tag (System IDs) properties so that it does not get deleted on Apply Defaults and Exit.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with a US Robotics PCI modem card, where the BIOS was generating a "PXE-01" warning message during POST.
- Updated PXE option ROM to v1.3.81
- Increased the available dynamic video memory size in Windows XP to 1 GB.
- Added non-English translations for Startup Menu strings.
- Added a POST error message ("161-Real Time Clock Power Loss") which displays when the CMOS battery is dead or missing.
- Added a new option ("Disable USB") to the F10 Setup / Storage Options / Removable Media Boot setting, which prevents booting from USB devices regardless of the boot order settings.

Version: 2.15 Rev. A

Fixed in this release: - Fixes an issue introduced in the v2.14 BIOS where the system would beep and continue to boot if there was a BIOS error during boot-up. The fix restores the expected pause with an "F1: Boot" prompt so that the error message can be seen.

Version: 2.14 Rev. A

Fixed in this release: - Corrects an issue where the "Replicated Setup" feature of BIOS Setup could overwrite unit-specific System ID data when used to restore BIOS configuration data on different units.
- Fixes an issue with handling USB devices that are hot-plugged in DOS.
- Fixes an issue that was preventing a USB mouse from working in DOS.
- Fixes an issue where the power supply type was sometimes reported incorrectly through SMBIOS.
- Corrects the reported SMART error codes from hard drive self-tests.
- Fixes Master Boot Record (MBR) POST error reporting to properly indicate when a drive with a saved MBR is swapped out.
- Fixes an issue where selecting "F5-Disable" for some devices in the BIOS Setup / Boot Order menu was not being saved.
- Fixes support for the lowest processor idle state when "Intel TXT(LT) Support" is enabled in the BIOS Setup / System Security menu.
- Fixes the UUID field interface in the BIOS Setup / Security / System IDs menu so that it cannot be accidentally overwritten.
- Fixes issues with the reporting of parallel port resources in BIOS Setup / Advanced / Onboard Devices menu.
- Adds a POST error message for a memory size change; it no longer reports the same error message as a memory failure.
- Fixes the Startup Menu UEFI Application Launcher for some application types that wouldn't correctly execute.
- Updates the PXE option ROM to v1.3.76 to fix a timeout when requesting an IP address in secure network environments.
- Corrects an issue where certain BIOS32 PCI calls could cause a protection fault
- Fixes an issue where the BIOS Setup option "Unconfigure AMT/ME" in the AMT Configuration menu would not complete if a BIOS Setup password was set.
- Fixes an issue where MS Windows 7 or Vista will fail to install as an EFI boot source if previously installed in the same mode.
- Updates Intel processor microcode to the latest version.
- Adds the capability to update the BIOS from a data CD in BIOS Setup or the Startup Menu.
- Improves the performance of securing memory after warm-boots, when memory must protected for security purposes.
- Improves BIOS Setup interface to prevent DriveLock and Network Server Mode from both being enabled at the same time (the two features should be mutually exclusive).

Version: 2.09 Rev. A

Fixed in this release: - Fixes an issue where Bitlocker could generate an error message if waking up from the network remotely.
- Fixes a system hang caused by Windows Management Interface (WMI) queries when booting from an EFI boot source.
- Fixes an issue where the system can sometimes hang with a gray screen when entering Computer Setup (F10) if a PCI card with an active option ROM is installed.
- Changes the boot order behavior of USB storage devices to add a permanent USB Hard Drive marker to the boot order just before the SATA Hard Drive.
- Adds a Master Boot Record (MBR) security feature in BIOS Setup.
- Adds HP Recovery (F11) BIOS support for Self-Encrypting hard drives (SEDs) that use the "Opal" security protocol standard.

Version: 2.06 Rev. A

Fixed in this release: - Resolves a critical issue that could result in blue screens, system hangs, or where data may not be saved properly.

WARNING: After updating to this BIOS version, prior BIOS versions cannot be installed onto the system.

Additional fixes:
- Fixes EFI boot method for RAID hard drive configurations
- Fixes an issue where an Altiris DOS utility for reading hard drive information could read data from the wrong drive
- Fixes the BIOS Setup "Replicated Setup" save and restore functions
- Fixes an issue that made it difficult to set a system power-on time in BIOS Setup.
- Changes the Set Time and Date function in the Startup menu and BIOS Setup so that time and date updates can be cancelled before taking effect.
- Adds support for uploading a custom image to replace the default HP boot logo
- Adds BIOS support for Computrace
- Adds BIOS sensor data reporting through the Windows Management Interface (WMI)
- Adds support for the Intel vPro "Remote Assistance" feature
- Updates the Intel processor microcode
- Updates the Intel graphics video BIOS option ROM

HP Recommended

Paul, are you sure you cannot go back to the v2.15 Bios after updating it to v2.28?  What would happen if you try to do it?  If the v2.28 would work even if it doesn't fix my video problem then I am fine with that.  I am just worried that it may brick my MB. 

As fa as my HD 6450 card, I thought that something was wrong with it so I got a 2nd identical card and it does exactly the same.   It looks almost like the power supply get overloaded and the power supply shuts down.  Then I got a new power supply and it does the same thing, no idea what is going on.

HP Recommended

That's very strange.

The HD 6450 only draws around 20W of power 

No way to roll back the BIOS.

If you were to try,  you would be informed accordingly when you ran the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.