Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elite 8200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently acquired this PC. It runs fine, but 2 odd things.

1. On windows reset, it hangs for about 3 minutes. Not sure if this is a problem closing, or opening. I've tried setting reboot to safe Mode, and I've tried disabling all processes on startup - neither thing fixes it.

2. On startup, it seems to shows the boot screen twice - it flashes up briefly, and then again a second time before it goes to Windows. It does go to Windows OK, but just seems to go long way round. I can boot from the drive of my choice by hitting ESC on startup - but this doesn't seem to affect the Boot sequence. I cant see how to change the sequence. 

I've tried updating BIOS on startup with F10 using a USB stick. It finds the USB stick OK, but reports the files are corrupt or damaged (cant remember exact message)

I've tried several versions of the BIOS, in case it can't update to latest in one go - always the same problem. I've copied the DOS flash folder contents to the USB root, 5 files I think, not in folder. The format is FAT32. I've also tried another USB drive - same problem

BIOS version currently is 2.05. There are 2 drives, SSD with the OS, and an HDD, + DVD drive.

One other odd thing - if I leave the USB stick in during boot, it wont boot at all - this suggests the boot sequence has the USB first, before the OS Manager or C or D drive. doesn't matter, just seems bit odd.

From what I read here, BIOS versions over 2.28 may cause problems with win 10 restart - but I have this problem now with v 2.05.

I'd be grateful for any help please - thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There's your problem...

You must have an 8300 Elite.  Those have the K01 BIOS family.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-small-form-factor-pc/5232852

IN order to update the BIOS in that model series, you must first flash to v02.99 and then to the newest one.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Some of the other BIOS versions have that issue too.

You can bypass that issue by going to the BIOS security menu and select 'Device Hidden' for the trusted platform module (embedded security device).

See the service manual, chapter 2, page 10....Device Security Allows you to set Device Available/Device Hidden (default is Device Available) for:
● Embedded security device (some models)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

Then the PC won't hang on restart.

To update the BIOS, try making the bootable CD with BIOS v2.28.

HP Recommended

hi Paul

OK I'll give that a go. But any idea why I cant flash BIOS from USB?? I haven't used CDs for a while!!

And can I change the boot sequence?

regards

Tom

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

In order to update the BIOS, you don't boot from the USB flash drive.

You format the drive with the FAT32 file system.

Copy and paste the v2.28 BIOS files from the DOS flash folder to the USB flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 setup option and press the enter key to get into the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should now 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Then follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

There is not need to change the boot order to boot from a DVD or USB flash drive.

Go into the BIOS, make sure that the legacy boot sources menu is enabled.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, go to the Legacy boot devices section.

Select the USB flash drive and press the enter key.  The PC should boot from the flash drive.

With the DVD, it is a little trickier.  You do not put the arrow where the DVD is listed, you put it on the SATA 2 device listed right below it, and press the enter key.

Then the PC will boot from the DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I have muddied the water a bit by discussing changing the boot sequence. I only brought that up because I wondered if an odd sequence might account for the peculiar double appearance of the HP bootup screen. It not important really.

Re the  flash system ROM I have done this exactly as you outline:

1. Copied the contents of the DOS Flash to the USB drive - there are 7 files. They are loose, no folder and no other files other than system volume information folder which I'm not able to delete. (This folder only shows on one machine for some reason even though I have show hidden files enabled on both.)

2. Boot up, hit ESC on boot up then F10, then insert USB, then choose flash system ROM, it shews the USB drive, hit return

3. Red message shows file missing or damaged.

Its driving me nuts - I cant see whats gone wrong. I did try with just the BIN file rather than all 7 files, because one set of instruction says copy the BIN file and makes no mention of the other files. Same result.

any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't know why that is happening to you.

I have two HP 8200 Elite CMT's, and updated both of the BIOS' to v02.28 using that method with no issues at all, and I have used this method to update many different model HP business desktops and never had a problem.

I can't imagine what the problem could be, so I would try the instructions to make a bootable CD-ROM with the v02.28 BIOS update files.

HP Recommended

… and here's another odd thing. I tried to run the HPQ Flash utility and I get the message:

BIOS image not compatible with this system

Family of BIOS in ROM update : J101

Family of BIOS in system: K101

Ive checked all the previous BIOS update options from 2.06 through to 2.28 and they are all J101.

so where does that leave me??

HP Recommended

There's your problem...

You must have an 8300 Elite.  Those have the K01 BIOS family.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-elite-8300-small-form-factor-pc/5232852

IN order to update the BIOS in that model series, you must first flash to v02.99 and then to the newest one.

HP Recommended

Ooooops!!! I was looking at an 8200 and forgot that in the end I went for ended up with an 8300.

I found your earlier thread on the 8200 in response to someone else's earlier query and thought it was very helpful and clean forgot that's not the model I have.

I feel a bit of a fool - not for the first time... and probably not the last either.

I'll check out the other updates and report back. thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

All of the 8X00 models look the same on the outside, so it is easy to make that kind of mistake.

What I don't know is what BIOS version you need to have on the 8300 Elite to make the long delay on reboot go away, but if you don't use bitlocker, you can just hide the embedded security device too if the same setting exists in the 8300 Elite.

Or you can install W10 in UEFI mode. 

I read a post where someone did that on the 8200 Elite to get rid of the delayed reboot, and then you don't need to hide the TPM (embedded security device).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.