Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite m9661pl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

my ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card installed in the HP Pavilion Elite m9661pl bought PC stopped working, I asked HP Support Poland for help, where I received information that I could install the r7 250 graphics card and did it. I bought a Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 3 048 MB DDR3 card - ie GV-R7250C-2GI rev.5 and installed it.
Unfortunately, my PC does not want to boot despite the BIOS reset by removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes. I suspect that the reason may be the lack of compatibility of the graphics card with the motherboard Pegatron IPMTB-TK, HP / Compaq name: Truckee, BIOS rev 5.29.
I am asking forum experts for help in starting my PC.
Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> maybe this solution exists?

Nothing is impossible, of course.  But, in my opinion, it's extremely-unlikely that there is such a solution.

There have been many similar posts on this forum, by people with "old" motherboards and "new" graphics-adapters, encountering the same symptoms as you are reporting.

Go to a small "owner/operator" computer-store, with your computer, to see if they have a "used" adapter that they can install and test on your computer.  If you find one that works, buy it.  Or, maybe they have some "old stock" gathering dust on a shelf -- some older adapter that nobody has purchased for a few years. If not, thank them for their time & efforts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

From: Software and driver results for: HP Pavilion Elite m9661pl Desktop PCHP Pavilion Elite m9661pl Deskt...

HP supplied device-drivers in late 2009 for Windows 7. That gives an indication of how old your computer is.

> I asked HP Support Poland for help, where I received information that I could install the r7 250 graphics card and did it.

Unfortunately, it is possible that you received incorrect advice.

Many newer graphics adapters require a "recent" motherboard -- much newer than your 2009-vintage system.

You will need to try some other graphics adapter(s), after returning/exchanging the R7-250 hardware.

Maybe, look on Amazon or eBay for an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics adapter ???

HP Recommended

Hi Dean,

many thanks for your response , but I am trying to find a workaround in the field of firmware to make my new card recognizable for my BIOS, maybe this solution exists?

Regards,

Kelob

HP Recommended

> maybe this solution exists?

Nothing is impossible, of course.  But, in my opinion, it's extremely-unlikely that there is such a solution.

There have been many similar posts on this forum, by people with "old" motherboards and "new" graphics-adapters, encountering the same symptoms as you are reporting.

Go to a small "owner/operator" computer-store, with your computer, to see if they have a "used" adapter that they can install and test on your computer.  If you find one that works, buy it.  Or, maybe they have some "old stock" gathering dust on a shelf -- some older adapter that nobody has purchased for a few years. If not, thank them for their time & efforts.

HP Recommended

Type: BIOS
Version: 5.29
Release date: Nov 12, 2010
File name: sp49903.exe (1.6 MB)
Description:  IPMTB-TK Motherboard BIOS update improves system support for Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processors, and resolves issue with the system hanging when entering sleep mode.

But, that update is from late 2010 -- probably not what you want.

HP Recommended

Hi Dean,

you are right, it is not the solution I am looking for, finally I have bought second hand Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 with Zalman cooler and it works.

Regards,

Kelob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.