Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The All In One machine keeps restarting on its own, I am working away then the screen will turn black I will see the HP logo and then the machine will boot up as if I just turned it on.

I have already disabled the restart options for system failure in Control Panel/System/Advanced settings/Startup and Recovery.

There are also no pending updates.

I have also reformatted the machine and started again to ensure there wasn't a buggy programme.

Anti-virus has also been running the whole time and hasn't picked up any issues.

Please help I am out of ideas.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@TEKNIQ

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the device keeps restarting on its own,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to capture any error message or codes that appear before or after the device restarts on its own?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue. Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly.

If the computer restarts unexpectedly and then does not start to Windows, see one of the following documents for steps to resolve this issue:

In addition to the steps in this article, updating video card drivers is known to resolve many of the problems that can cause the computer to restart.

Windows restarts for no apparent reason

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, if the Automatically restart option is enabled, an error message might not be displayed despite an error taking place. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.

Follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

Figure : System Properties window

System Properties window
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure, then click OK.

Figure : Automatically restart check box

Location of the Automatically restart check box
  4. Restart the computer.

NOTE:

The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen appears with more useful information. You can now search for a resolution using the information in the error.

Step 2: Checking for failed hardware

Hardware problems can cause the computer to restart unexpectedly. For more information about checking for hardware problems, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 for desktop computers, or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 for notebook computers.

NOTE:

Failed hardware is usually caused by increased heat inside the computer. Over time, cooling areas can become clogged with dust buildup causing temperatures inside the case to rise. For more information, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating for notebook computers, or Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating for desktop computers.

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

A BIOS update can resolve issues with the computer shutting down unexpectedly. Follow the steps in the following sections to use HP Support Assistant, the HP website, or HP SoftPaq Download Manager to check for and download any BIOS updates.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all of the above options you have provided, and will see if the machine does it again.

There are no error messgaes provided by the shutdown and restart.

Bios also has no further updates.....will keep you posted.

HP Recommended

@TEKNIQ

Thank you for replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I too am having the same issue.

I have an:

HP Pavilion All-in-One 24 - purchased in October 2017

Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit 

AMD A12-9730P RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G

Space:  917.15 GB (790.74 GB free)

Bios: F.10

Primary use:  Internet/Email / a few spreadsheets - I do NOT use it for gaming, music or videos, nor do I have many apps installed. I use a cloud based service to store all documents and photos.

The shutdown happened maybe once or twice in Dec 2017, but in early January 2018 it started to happen frequently. I would be in the middle of working and would lose everything.

After some searching, I found the same help information that is described above. I UNchecked the automatic restart option, and using the HP Support Assistant, I ran all updates and checked the BIOS. At that time and right now, I have the most current BIOS version for my PC.

After having made these changes/updates in early January, I did not encounter another unexpected shut down - until today. 

Around 11:00 am, the shutdown occurred again. The system was not overheating. What I had open at the time:

Chrome, with 7 tabs open.
Outlook 2016
Amazon Kindle Reader App

In addition to the above, Dropbox, One Drive, Support Assistant, and Anti-Virus software were all running in the background.

I once again went over all the same troubleshooting tips that were given in the posts above. This time, the "automatically restart" WAS STILL unchecked.  There were no updates ready, and I still have the most current BIOS.

I have not made any changes to my PC, and there have not been any recent Windows updates.

This is very frustrating as I have never experienced these shutdowns with any other laptop or PC. Although I have always purchased HP, this is the first AIO. Not sure it has anything to do with it, but I am at my wits end and tired of losing work and time.

Please let me know if you need any other information from me, and I hope that there is an answer soon.

Thank you ...

Trish

HP Recommended

@TEKNIQ

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detect.Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options".

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went to the HP website and loaded a BIOS update (make sure you pick the correct one!!), and updated my BIOS.  This seems to have resolved the issue.  Also, it has improved my wireless mouse performance.......as it was not responding many times upon repeated clicking. 

IN contacting HP support, they recommended that I restore my computer back to factory default settings.  That would be very inconvenient, and also, it would not fix the out-of-date BIOS problem.  

I recommend you try updating the BIOS before you take any other, more time consuming measures, which likely will not resolve.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.