Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

After a failed BIOS update pushed through Windows Update, the PC now fails to boot with the beep of 2 long 2 short. Same with the power LED light flashing the same sequence.

After troubleshooting for the last couple of days I feel this PC is a lost cause.

These steps I have gone through to try and get it working.

1. Waited 2 days for it to complete the BIOS update. It was a bit excessive I know but switching a PC off during a BIOS update is a big no no.

2. Eventually switched it off and tried the key combos with the power button, Windows key + B or V didn't seem to work. Still continued to make the same beeps regardless of the timing of the key presses.

3. Opened the PC and removed the CMOS battery and left it out for 15 minutes or so before trying to restart the computer. Used the jumper on the correct PINs Same beeps as before.

4. Removed the Memory module to see if I could get the PC to do something different. Success! It recognized that it was missing its memory module. But returns to the CMOS failure beeps once the memory module was returned.

5. Removed the HDD to see if that was still working. I could access all the data fine in another PC.

6. Created a BIOS recovery USB stick. That didn't work as I assume its the same issue with the key combo not working either.

So my questions are:

Is it possible to order a new motherboard from HP? Will I have any issues with hardware ID's and windows etc?

Do I have to go dive into Ebay?

The PC is otherwise in great shape for a 4yr old computer and I would love to get it working so my family can use it.

Thanks for any help

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

If it is only 4 years old, then check http://PartSurfer.hp.com to see if HP still have that motherboard available for purchase.

A major change, such as a different motherboard, may cause Windows to need to be "activated" again.

HP Recommended

@Blurty 

To expand on what you've been told, the Windows OEM license is locked to the original motherboard.  If you replace that, your current license will no longer work. Since HP does not sell licenses, you will have to buy your own license and since that will not match the version of Windows installed, you will have to install a version that matches the license.

Changing motherboards is a lot more involved than simply swapping two parts.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Itsmyname

Yep I managed to find that site the other day. I also found a authorized HP part distributor here in Brisbane but I've yet to hear back.

@WAWood

That is a shame. Looks like its now the PC becomes e-waste when it really doesn't need to be.

Ah if I only had the skills to reset the BIOS chip myself! I should look into that.

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply guys

Blurty

HP Recommended

@Blurty 

It's not just a matter of skills; it's more a matter of having the specialized hardware.  The BIOS chip is soldered, not socketed.  So it is not just a matter of popping out the old chip and putting in a new one.  Plus, you need not only the BIOS code, which HP does not supply, but a chip "burner" -- and either you know what that is and have one, or you do not.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yeah I know what is involved. I was just pondering.

I just like to extend the life of hardware as much as I can so I'm not part of the problem.

I'll post later this week to update on how I go with sourcing a replacement mobo

Thanks WAWood

HP Recommended

Hello @Blurty 
If you don't have the choice to replace the motherboard
You will probably not be able to reinstall the original version!
windows activation will probably not happen either
but carefully read the information given by microsoft
in your case it will probably not be possible, but to see
if not, you can redeem a simple activation key
They are found at a very reasonable price, it is cheaper because there is no installation dvd, and they are generally one-time keys.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-10-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227

When you make a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. 

Make sure you associate your Microsoft account to your digital license to prepare for hardware changes. The association enables you to reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

If you don't have a digital license, you'll use a product key to activate. 

Check what the price of the motherboard, and the price for the installation!
See if it won't cost you too much

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Greetings Prométhée.

You're definitely right about price. As with most electronics these days, its usually cheaper to buy new than try and fix something.

EMPR group had a rummage around their stock but they had nothing. Ebay would've been too expensive if there was any in stock with the users that I found.

The solution to this problem looks like its buy a new PC for about the same price it would cost to fix. Seems wasteful doesn't it?

And with that, the journey of the HP AIO 24-b010a has come to an end, we got a good 4 years out of you buddy!

A big thank you to everyone that responded, you guys are a credit to the support community!

HP Recommended

Yes indeed @Blurty 
you have to make a choice, but sometimes yes better to buy something else
depending on what is down, if the computer was working well enough it might be worth it, change the hard drive to an SSD for example
But for a motherboard it may not be worth it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Looks like its now the PC becomes e-waste when it really doesn't need to be.

Perhaps, list it "as is" on eBay. Somebody might be seeking some of the parts (CD/DVD reader, display screen, power adapter) and be willing to purchase your computer.  Of course, keep your disk-drive. Maybe, keep the sticks of RAM.  This "repurposing" is much better than sending it to "end-of-life" processing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.