Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE 560Z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC won't power on.  The green light stays lit on the back of the power supply, but pressing the button does not power on the computer.  Before I would disconnect the power cord from the supply until the green light goes off, then reconnect and everything powers on fine.  Now it will not power up even after that.  Suggestions?  Bad power supply or power on switch? Are there any other tests I can do to diagnose it further? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try disconnecting both the sata and power from the dvd.  This draws the most power on boot when is spins at boot.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Remove the DVD, Hard disk, graphics card, ram, cmos battery in that order one by one and try each time.  There are lots of videos on youtube on how to do this safely and you may find instructions for your particular model.  Is the power supply making any noise? 

HP Recommended

Thx.  I did remove the cmos battery and even replaced it to no avail.  Will try the rest.  No noise from power supply, green light in back stays on when plugged in.  Nothing at all when depressing the power switch on top.

HP Recommended

Does the green light on the power supply go out when you depress the on off switch? If so, it's probably the capacitors on the board.

HP Recommended

No it doesn't.  Stays solid green.  I even held the button down for 5-10 seconds and no change to the light.

HP Recommended

Try disconnecting both the sata and power from the dvd.  This draws the most power on boot when is spins at boot.

HP Recommended

It powers on with DVD disconnected.  Goes through bios, then windows repair screen comes up then i get stuck on the Choose your keyboard layout screen.  I vaguely remember having that issue many years ago but dont remember how i fixed that

HP Recommended

Got it, had to change my boot disk to SSD, I have multiple disks in computer.  At least its working.  Thank You!!!!!  Wonder if I need to replace dvd?

HP Recommended

All you can do is try with it in, it may be just a one off.  The only reason I say to disconnect the dvd is that it draws a lot of power at startup, other than a graphics card, and if the power is weak or failing or just in a twist, it can get you through the mess. Well done in helping yourself and having the courage and ability to do so.  Good stuff!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.