Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1280t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get the PC to start BIOS?  I have tried Esc ,F2,F3 keys etc. on startup, but it just starts windows.  Aside from BIOS any ideas on how to test SATA ports?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Some retail keyboards don't initialize quick enough at boot. 

Try the HP factory keyboard if you are using a different keyboard.

I would connect a SATA device to each port and check for the device's presence primarily in the BIOS or you can check the operating system. You might have to use Microsoft Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format the disk (when checking within the operating system) if the disk is new or has been wiped.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I'm using the HP keyboard but I think you're right about booting up too quickly.  The odd thing is even when it pauses with the message "enter cntrl I to enter BIOS configuration" that doesn't work either.  The SATA port in question was working but then two days ago I noticed after a reboot that one drive was missing (I have three).  I replaced the cable with no luck, tried the old drive ( I had replaced it with a larger drive) and then finally moved it to an open sata port which worked.   Now I just need to know if you all have had any luck with windows 10 and SSD to get to the BIOS so I can check the port.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.