Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion (500-277c)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I have my USB 3.0 hub attached to my computer, the computer will not boot past the BIOS screen.  Unplugging the hub and power cycling fixes the issue; as soon as the Windows logo appears, I can plug the hub back in.

I've updated all drivers, but can't find a BIOS update.  The installed BIOS (80.20) has a date of 10/31/2014.  I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a newer one, but I can't find it.

I've tried 3 different brands of USB 3.0 hub, tried plugging the hub into different USB ports, but still can't get past the boot-up issue.  

Has anybody else run into this problem and/or have any possible solution?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jkyoung66 

I've run into this myself with some HP PCs and there is no real solution -- as the PC is going to attempt to boot from anything plugged into the USB port, and there does not appear to be anything you can do to prevent that other than unplugging the USB device.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Most computers have an option in the bios to specify boot order or exclude certain devices from being bootable.  I can't find these settings in this computer's simplistic BIOS - a very surprising omission, but I've found other disappointing design choices with this PC (such as the full-size drive cage that was designed NOT to allow extra drives to be added).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.