Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
3LA08AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning

I have a problem with my Slim Desktop PC 290-a0020. 

After I press the power button, the PC appears to be going into startup mode, but the screen stays blank and I have to then press the power button again to power the PC totally off.  Then I need to press the power button once more until I hear the small "whirr" of the fan and it will usually start the second round.  It is almost as if the computer has gone to sleep or is hibernating.  I checked the settings but don't know if they are correct.  

Can anyone help?  Much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LilyB2013

Thanks you for keeping us posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LilyB2013

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad,

Sorry for the delay.  I had emergency surgery the day after my original post. 

My machine is actually an HP Slim Desktop, but I imagine the instructions you gave me would be the same for a desktop.  I was able to follow your instructions below this morning.  I will keep you updated in the following days how it goes.  I restarted several times and so far, I have not had any issues.  I updated the BIOS, HP Windows Hardware Diagnostics and HP Connections Optimizer.  The Realtek products may or may not apply to my desktop as the wifi is not working.  I had to borrow a USB wifi adapter in order for my computer to connect to my network.  Nothing I did would make that work without using this adapter, however I will download these drivers and hopefully they will enable my computer to use the network with the original hardware as intended.  If not, I will roll back the drivers.  

Thank you.  I will keep in contact.

HP Recommended

@LilyB2013

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was very hopeful that the earlier steps provided would be the permanent fix for my startup issues, however, my PC is back to starting only partially about every other start.  I am at a loss as to what to do now.  Luckily I have an extended warranty I purchased so I may need to look towards submitting my PC for repair? 

HP Recommended

@LilyB2013

Thanks you for keeping us posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, KrazyToad.  

I will contact support early next week.  Thank you to you and Echo_Lake for your help.

LilyB2013

HP Recommended

@LilyB2013

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep us posted on the results.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.