Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Scanjet Pro 3000 S2

When I open Add A Device, and try to detect my scanner - it fails.

When I attempt to add the scanner manually it does not recognize the serial number and product number.

What to do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RDSigrist 

This product was introduced 2013.

The device might just be "too old" for the HPSA to recognize.

Regardless, there is little enough that the HPSA could "do" with the device - the last software for it, while still available from the Software and Drivers Support Website, is dated 2015.  The product is well outside of the warranty period (one of the details that HPSA would normally track), there are no firmware updates, and no Alerts or Bulletins.

You can easily manage the product manually using the Support Website, including the software (mentioned), any troubleshooting, User Guide information (as available), and other information.

For example, documents to help you resolve issues are located here:

Troubleshooting > Select Topic Scan

There is also a "How to" category:

How to > Select Topic Scan

User Guides

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Scanjet Pro 3000 s2 Sheet-feed Scanner

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It's quite funny when you say 'old', as my wife's SONY VAIO VGN-NR21Z laptop back from early 2008:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/sony-vaio-vgn-...

is still perfectly well recognised by VAIO support app (VAIO Update) despite SONY having sold VAIO brand back in early 2014:

https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/06/sony-vaio-sale/

And VAIO Update has even updated itself quite recently!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00228945

HP Recommended

@krzemien 

Ah, humor at the expense of the author.  Smiling.  No worries.

Admitting that I do not know the actual cause (I do not have access to the code):

• The product (not-quite-a-printer) may not provide the necessary "hooks" on which the HPSA depends to detect and manage a product.

• The product may not be "new" enough - by itself this is less likely the case, of course, though the product was marked for obsolescence in mid-2017.   I have assumptions as to what this means and will without comment about things I do not know.

• The lack of detection is perhaps due to the installed version of the HPSA.   Personal Observation:  Older versions of the code tend to be less robust than newer versions.

• The lack of detection might be due to an error in the HPSA database (existing / installed HPSA software).

• The lack of detection might be due to a code error that "misses" the opportunity to connect to this particular device.

• The lack of detection might be a host of other issues, misses, vagaries, or even something in the member's "network".

If you know the answer and can provide the solution, please do so.   

Our community thrives when our members support each other.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.